Apple Is the Most Productive Retailer in the United States
Apple is not only the most profitable company in the United States; it also has a highly effective retail strategy.
According to data released by Retail Sails, a research firm focused on the retail and consumer goods industries, Apple’s retail stores generated the highest sales per square foot of any retailer in the United States by a wide margin. In the twelve months period covered in the report, Apple raked in $6,050 per square foot. Tiffany & Co., a luxury jewellery retailer, was ranked second with sales of $3,017 per square foot.
In terms of overall sales per store, Apple was ranked ninth, with average sales of $51.1 million. The undisputed leader in this category was Costco with average sales of $137.2 million per store.
These results show that good products alone might no longer be enough. Apple’s strategy of combining great products with a first class retail experience appears to be a winning combination.
- Annual turnover of organic food in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015Annual turnover of organic food in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015
- Turnover of organic rice and bakery products in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015Turnover of organic rice and bakery products in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015
- Annual turnover of organic meat, spreads, offal in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015Annual turnover of organic meat, spreads, offal in retail shops in Denmark 2010-2015
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015
- Leading department stores in the U.S. 2015, based on retail salesLeading department stores in the U.S. 2015, based on retail sales
- Brand value of the leading 10 most valuable luxury brands worldwide 2016Brand value of the leading 10 most valuable luxury brands worldwide 2016
- Total retail and food services sales in the U.S. 1992-2015Total retail and food services sales in the U.S. 1992-2015
- Total retail sales in the U.S. 1992-2014Total retail sales in the U.S. 1992-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens