Netflix's Share Price Almost Quadrupled in 2013
One and a half years ago, we asked the question whether Netflix’s stock had finally hit rock bottom. A year before that, in July 2011, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings had announced a new pricing model that separated its streaming service from DVD-rentals. Hastings had insisted that the change was necessary to ensure his company’s future success, but Netflix’s stock began tumbling nonetheless. Within a year, Netflix’s share price dropped almost 80 percent and the company’s future was in doubt.
It turns out that Hastings was exactly right back in 2011. Today Netflix is looking better than ever. The company is dominating the flourishing streaming market and its stock price almost quadrupled during 2013. Even though 2013 was a good year for most public tech companies, Netflix stands out as the clear winner because its CEO was brave enough to make an unpopular decision at a time when it had to be made.
- FacebookFacebook-Oculus VR Is Tech’s Latest Billion-Dollar Deal
This chart shows the value of selected tech company acquisitions (in billion U.S. dollars).
- TwitterMarketers Have Yet To Embrace Twitter Advertising
This chart shows the results of a Socialbakers survey among 500+ marketers regarding their company’s adoption of social networks as advertising platforms.
- Wages and SalaryThese Tech CEOs Made Billions in 2013
This chart shows the net appreciation of selected tech executives' company stockholdings in 2013.
- AppleSix Years in Tech
This infographic compares the market capitalization of seven American tech and internet companies in April 2006 and in January 2012. Apple's market cap soared from 53.4 billion U.S. dollars to more than 400 billion dollars in 2012.
- Netflix online traffic volume in the United States from 1H 2010 to 1H 2014, by percentage of peak period downstream traffic
Netflix: share of peak period downstream traffic in the U.S. 2014
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide from 3rd quarter 2011 to 1st quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide as of Q1 2014
- Number of Netflix DVD subscribers in the United States from 3rd quarter 2011 to 1st quarter 2014 (in millions)
Number of Netflix DVD subscribers in the U.S. Q1 2014
- Stock markets - market valueStock markets - market value
- European countries based on public biotech company revenues 2013European countries based on public biotech company revenues 2013
- Stock market trendsStock market trends
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter