Netflix's Share Price Almost Quadrupled in 2013
One and a half years ago, we asked the question whether Netflix’s stock had finally hit rock bottom. A year before that, in July 2011, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings had announced a new pricing model that separated its streaming service from DVD-rentals. Hastings had insisted that the change was necessary to ensure his company’s future success, but Netflix’s stock began tumbling nonetheless. Within a year, Netflix’s share price dropped almost 80 percent and the company’s future was in doubt.
It turns out that Hastings was exactly right back in 2011. Today Netflix is looking better than ever. The company is dominating the flourishing streaming market and its stock price almost quadrupled during 2013. Even though 2013 was a good year for most public tech companies, Netflix stands out as the clear winner because its CEO was brave enough to make an unpopular decision at a time when it had to be made.
- Trade revenue of China's stock market 2011-2015Trade revenue of China's stock market 2011-2015
- Share of Americans investing money in the stock market 1999-2015Share of Americans investing money in the stock market 1999-2015
- Stock market value of large oil companiesStock market value of large oil companies
- Monthly Dow Jones Industrial Average index performance 2014-2016Monthly Dow Jones Industrial Average index performance 2014-2016
- Losses in Asian markets after the U.S. presidential election 2016 Losses in Asian markets after the U.S. presidential election 2016
- Unemployment rate in the United States 2020Unemployment rate in the United States 2020
- Leading banks globally by market capitalization 2016Leading banks globally by market capitalization 2016
- Projected 2020 revenue for top drugs approved in U.S. 2015Projected 2020 revenue for top drugs approved in U.S. 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl