WhatsApp Deal Dwarfs Other High-Profile Tech Acquisitions
On February 19, Facebook announced that it had agreed to acquire WhatsApp for a total of $19 billion(!!) in cash and stock. By buying the largest player in the thriving mobile messaging landscape, not only did Facebook get rid of one of its most dangerous competitors but also gained access to roughly 450 million phone numbers, an information many Facebook users had previously tried to withhold from the company.
WhatApp's user growth has been nothing short of impressive. Currently the messaging app has more than 450 million active users per month, up from just 200 million in April 2013. Moreover, WhatsApp handles more than 50 billion messages per day, which indicates extraordinarily high user engagement.
With a total value of $19 billion, the deal dwarfs other high-profile tech takeovers, such as Google's recent acquisitions of Motorola or Nest. Google reportedly had a $10 billion bid for WhatsApp rejected and probably won't be too happy about the messaging giant falling into the hands of Facebook.
- Mobile CommunicationsWhatsApp Has 600m Users Now
This chart shows the number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide.
- Mobile App UsageThe Top 10 Apps in the States
This chart shows the top 10 mobile apps by unique visitors.
- HealthEverybody's Talking About Ice Bucketing
This chart gives an overview of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge by the numbers
- WomenWomen Vastly Underrepresented In Silicon Valley Tech Jobs
This chart shows the percentage of female employees in the workforce of selected American tech companies.
- Social NetworksSnapchat More Popular Than Twitter Among Millennials
This chart shows the most popular social media apps among U.S. millennials in June 2014.
- Number of LINE app's registered users from December 2011 to July 2014 (in millions)
LINE app: number of registered users as of July 2014
- Most popular global mobile messenger apps as of July 2014, based on number of registered users (in millions)
Most popular global mobile messenger apps as of July 2014
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide from April 2013 to April 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of April 2014
- Top 15 investment banks by the value of managed M&A deals in 2013Top 15 investment banks by the value of managed M&A deals in 2013
- Largest M&A deals worldwide based on transaction value 2013Largest M&A deals worldwide based on transaction value 2013
- Global M&A investment bank ranking in 2013, by revenueGlobal M&A investment bank ranking in 2013, by revenue
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter