WhatsApp Deal Dwarfs Other High-Profile Tech Acquisitions
On February 19, Facebook announced that it had agreed to acquire WhatsApp for a total of $19 billion(!!) in cash and stock. By buying the largest player in the thriving mobile messaging landscape, not only did Facebook get rid of one of its most dangerous competitors but also gained access to roughly 450 million phone numbers, an information many Facebook users had previously tried to withhold from the company.
WhatApp's user growth has been nothing short of impressive. Currently the messaging app has more than 450 million active users per month, up from just 200 million in April 2013. Moreover, WhatsApp handles more than 50 billion messages per day, which indicates extraordinarily high user engagement.
With a total value of $19 billion, the deal dwarfs other high-profile tech takeovers, such as Google's recent acquisitions of Motorola or Nest. Google reportedly had a $10 billion bid for WhatsApp rejected and probably won't be too happy about the messaging giant falling into the hands of Facebook.
- Value of top m&a medical technology company deals worldwide 2015Value of top m&a medical technology company deals worldwide 2015
- Value of M&A transactions globally 2010-2015Value of M&A transactions globally 2010-2015
- Largest merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions in Europe 1999-2015Largest merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions in Europe 1999-2015
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Enterprise value of top contract pharma research organizations in the U.S. 2017Enterprise value of top contract pharma research organizations in the U.S. 2017
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl