Google - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Google
Google is a California-based, multinational internet company which provides digital products and services such as online search and advertising, cloud computing and software. In July 2014, Google was ranked first amongst the most visited multi-platform web properties in the United States with 236 million U.S. unique visitors and a market share of 67.4 percent among the leading U.S search engine providers. Google’s market capitalization in September 2014 was valued at 394.4 billion U.S. dollars.
In 2013, the majority of the company's 59.83 billion U.S. dollar revenues came from advertising through Google Sites or Google Network Sites – in 2013, Google Sites' advertising revenue amounted to 37.45 billion U.S. dollars. The annual advertising revenue of the company in 2013 was 50.58 billion U.S. dollars with ad revenue from Google network websites was 13.13 billion U.S. dollars. In 2014, the company’s net digital ad revenue share of total digital ad revenues worldwide is estimated to be 31.45 percent. Google’s quarterly revenue shows an overall growth from the 15.42 billion U.S. dollars in first quarter of 2014 to 16.52 billion U.S. dollars in third quarter of 2014. The net mobile advertising revenue share of Google when compared to other online companies like Facebook and Twitter is expected to be 50.2 percent.
Google.com is visited most by the users in the United States with a global share of 29.7 percent as of September 2014. Among the leading search engines, the worldwide market share of Google in July 2014 was 88.15 percent. Furthermore, a study shows that 41 percent of the U.S. respondents use Google search multiple times a day.
Although Google’s product originally was based upon online search, the company has significantly broadened its services throughout the years. Video content sharing site YouTube was one of Google’s most prolific and expensive acquisitions and has been heavily integrated into Google’s online presence, its worldwide ubiquity changing the dynamics of user generated content and online video curation.
As of February 2014, 81 percent of the U.S. population was found to have accessed YouTube to watch music videos or listen to music. A ranking of the global penetration rate of selected social media apps places YouTube at the second position with 59 percent of mobile internet users having used it. The most popular YouTube partner channel in the United States in July 2014 was VEVO@YouTube with 42.6 million unique users.
Apart from online search, advertising and online video, Google has branched out into further content, most notably the Android mobile operating system which as of the first quarter of 2014, accounted for 81.1 percent of the global smartphone operating system market. Content for Android devices can be purchased via the Google Play Store, a digital application distribution platform through which more than 1.3 million apps were made available as of July 2014. The most popular Android apps in the United States include Google products such as Search, Google Mail, YouTube and Google Maps but also Facebook and Instagram.
Other Google products include the Chrome browser and operating systems, hardware including the Chromecast as well as the company's series of mobile devices such as the Nexus smartphones and tablets.
|Google’s global revenue||$66bn||Details →|
|Price of acquisition of Motorola Mobility by Google||$12,500m||Details →|
|Number of full-time Google employees||53,600||Details →|
|Percentage of visitors to google.com from the U.S.||29.7%||Details →|
|Share of search traffic in the U.S. originating from Google||75.65%||Details →|
|Advertising & Marketing||Values||Statistic|
|Google’s advertising revenue||$59.06bn||Details →|
|Google’s net mobile advertising revenue in the U.S.||$6,327.5m||Details →|
|'Insurance' is most expensive keyword in Google Adwords||$54.91/CPC||Details →|
|YouTube & Google Plus||Values||Statistic|
|Average number of unique monthly YouTube users in the U.S.||128m||Details →|
|Number of worldwide registered Google Plus users||500m||Details →|
|Number of followers of Lady Gaga on Google Plus||7.55m||Details →|
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Global market share of search engines as of January 2015Global market share of search engines as of January 2015
Worldwide market share of leading search engines from January 2010 to January 2015
- Google Play: number of Android app downloads as of July 2013Google Play: number of Android app downloads as of July 2013
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Google Play Android app store as of July 2013 (in billions)
- Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2015Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2015
Number of available applications in the Google Play Store from December 2009 to February 2015
- Google's quarterly revenue as 2008-2014Google's quarterly revenue as 2008-2014
Google's revenue from 1st quarter 2008 to 4th quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Online search advertising spending in the U.S. from 2010 to 2016Online search advertising spending in the U.S. from 2010 to 2016
- Companies with the highest investments in online advertising in Germany 2013Companies with the highest investments in online advertising in Germany 2013
- Revenues from mobile online advertising in Germany 2005-2018Revenues from mobile online advertising in Germany 2005-2018
- Forecast: directory and mailing list publishing revenue Canada 2008-2018Forecast: directory and mailing list publishing revenue Canada 2008-2018
- Forecast: media representation revenue Canada 2008-2018Forecast: media representation revenue Canada 2008-2018
- Forecast: media representation revenue UK 2008-2018Forecast: media representation revenue UK 2008-2018
- Forecast: directory and mailing list publishing revenue UK 2008-2018Forecast: directory and mailing list publishing revenue UK 2008-2018
- Forecast: media representation revenue Germany 2009-2018Forecast: media representation revenue Germany 2009-2018