Here's What Facebook Gets for $19 Billion
Mobile messaging startup WhatsApp continues to stand strong in the face of competition from some of the largest players in the communications industry. The company’s co-founder and CEO Jan Koum announced at a conference this week that WhatsApp now boasts 430 million active users, up from 200 million in April 2013. This achievement is all the more impressive considering the big names WhatsApp is competing with: Facebook, Skype and Apple, just to name a few.
Maybe it's part of WhatsApp's success that it doesn't have a big player behind it, but it might as well be the app's simple (some say ugly) design and its cross-platform functionality that makes it so appealing to its audience. Especially younger smartphone users have quickly adopted the service as a cheap alternative to texting.
Whatsapp currently handles an impressive 50 billion messages per day. The service also sees hundreds of millions of photo uploads every day, putting it far beyond the number of dedicated photo sharing services such as Instagram (55m photos per day).
Update: On February 19, Facebook announced that it had agreed to acquire WhatsApp for a total of $19 billion in chas and stock.
- Social NetworksSnapchat More Popular Than Twitter Among Millennials
This chart shows the most popular social media apps among U.S. millennials in June 2014.
- NetflixNetflix Challenges TV Networks at the 2014 Emmys
This chart shows the 12 networks with the most nominations at the 2014 Emmy Awards.
- NetflixNetflix Beats HBO in Subscription Revenue
This chart compares the subscription revenue of pay-TV provider HBO to Netflix's streaming subscription revenue.
- FacebookFacebook's Revenue Soars On Mobile Ad Boom
This chart shows Facebook's revenue growth since the first quarter of 2012.
- Facebook30% of Facebook Users Are Now Mobile-Only
This charts shows Facebook's monthly active users, broken down by the type of device they access the social network on.
- Number of LINE app's registered users from December 2011 to July 2014 (in millions)
LINE app: number of registered users as of July 2014
- Most popular global mobile messenger apps as of July 2014, based on number of registered users (in millions)
Most popular global mobile messenger apps as of July 2014
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide from April 2013 to April 2014 (in millions)
Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of April 2014
- Market share of mobile instant messengers in China 2012, by active accountesMarket share of mobile instant messengers in China 2012, by active accountes
- Market share of mobile instant messengers in China 2012, by accumulated accountesMarket share of mobile instant messengers in China 2012, by accumulated accountes
- South Korean: purpose of using the internet in 2013South Korean: purpose of using the internet in 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter