Google and Facebook Dominate Booming Mobile Ad Market
Facebook's late push into mobile advertising is paying off big time. Less than two years after the company began serving targeted ads to mobile users, the social network is by far the second largest player in the quickly growing market. eMarketer expects Facebook to rake in $6.8 billion from mobile ad sales this year, trailing only Google which remains the clear industry leader.
eMarketer's data shows how heavily concentrated the mobile ad market is. In the past year, the Top 4 ad publishers accounted for more than 70 percent of mobile ad revenues and, perhaps even more impressively, Google and Facebook alone pocketed two thirds of every dollar spent on mobile advertising in 2013.
- FacebookFacebook Drives 20x As Much Traffic As Twitter Does
This chart shows the percentage of overall traffic to websites coming from Facebook or Twitter referrals. Next to social referrals, overall traffic includes direct traffic, paid and organic search traffic etc.
- GoogleGoogle Ads Are Getting Cheaper
This chart shows the year-over-year change of the average cost per click on Google ads.
- AndroidAndroid Wear Smartwatches Work With Less Than 25% of Android Devices
This chart shows active devices running Android by version and smartwatch compatibility.
- WomenTech World Remains Male-Dominated
This chart shows a gender breakdown of selected tech companies' global workforce.
- FacebookInteractions Boost The Effect Of Paying For Facebook Reach
This chart illustrates how interactions with branded content on Facebook correlate with reach.
- Mobile advertising spending in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Mobile advertising spending in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Importance given by marketers to challenges facing mobile advertising in the United States in 2013
Marketers' views on the challenges facing mobile advertising in the U.S. in 2013
- Mobile advertising expenditure in the United States in 2012, by category (in million U.S. dollars)
U.S. mobile ad spending in 2012, by category
- Worldwide net mobile advertising revenue of online companies 2011-2013Worldwide net mobile advertising revenue of online companies 2011-2013
- Mobile advertising conversions in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016Mobile advertising conversions in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016
- Mobile advertising reach in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016Mobile advertising reach in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter