iPad Eclipses iPhone Launch
When Apple introduced the original iPad in January 2010, many analysts were sceptical whether the new device could replicate the iPhone’s success in establishing a new product category.
Two and a half years and 100 million shipped iPads later, the answer has to be: yes!
Not only has the iPad redefined (or reignited) the tablet market, it even eclipsed the iPhone in terms of launch sales. In the first ten quarters after the iPad’s launch in April 2010, Apple shipped 98.16 million units of its popular tablet. During the same period after the iPhone’s launch in 2007, Apple shipped 33.75 million units of its popular smartphone. I.e. the iPad outsold the iPhone 3 to 1 in its first two and a half years on the market, making it one of the fastest consumer electronics launches ever.
The recently launched iPad Mini could give iPad sales another boost, as the entry price to Apple’s tablet products dropped from $399 to $329.
- Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2015
- Apple's global revenue from 1st quarter 2005 to 1st quarter 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Apple: quarterly revenue 2005-2015
- Apple's net income worldwide from 1st quarter 2005 to 1st quarter 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Net income of Apple by quarter 2005-2015
- Apple's revenue share by operating segment 2012-2015, by quarterApple's revenue share by operating segment 2012-2015, by quarter
- Apple's revenue broken down by operating segments 2012-2015, by quarterApple's revenue broken down by operating segments 2012-2015, by quarter
- Share of unit sales-of-apple by product category 2012-2015, by quarterShare of unit sales-of-apple by product category 2012-2015, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens