Restaurant industry food and drink sales in the U.S. from 1970 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|Restaurant industry sales (in billion U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the sales of the U.S. restaurant industry in 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and from 2008 to 2014. In 2011, the U.S. restaurant industry had a sales volume of about 611.55 billion U.S. dollars.
More statistics and facts on fast food, the U.S. restaurant industry and the pizza (delivery) market.
U.S. restaurant industry - additional information
In 1970, food and drink sales in the United States restaurant industry amounted to 42.8 billion U.S. dollars. By 2013, this figure had increased by more than 15 times and, in 2014, it was forecast to increase further to 683.36 billion U.S. dollars. Restaurants in the United States have created a booming industry that employed almost 13 million people nationwide in 2012.
Unsurprisingly, the majority of food and drink sales in the U.S. restaurant industry take place in commercial restaurants. In 2013, full-service restaurant sales amounted to 206.98 billion U.S. dollars and limited-service sales were 187.07 U.S. dollars. The second largest contributor in 2013 was retail, vending, recreation and mobile vendors with sales of 62.4 billion U.S. dollars. The smallest proportion came from came from bars and taverns.
As of January 2014, things were still looking up for the U.S. restaurant industry: the monthly Restaurant Industry Tracking Survey, conducted by the National Restaurant Association, recorded a performance index score of 100.7 – any score over 100 indicates a period of expansion. The lowest performance index score between 2011 and 2014, 99.4, was recorded in August 2011. In February 2013, only ten percent of U.S. consumers reported that they had not dined out at all in the past month.
- Hotel/restaurant sector: female employees by region 2010Hotel/restaurant sector: female employees by region 2010
- Most expensive cities for business travel based on the cost of food in hotels 2010Most expensive cities for business travel based on the cost of food in hotels 2010
- Hotel / restaurant industry: percentage of female employees by region 2010Hotel / restaurant industry: percentage of female employees by region 2010
- Hospitality failure towards hotel guestHospitality failure towards hotel guest
- Marketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisisMarketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisis
- Market size of the global cruise industry in 2014, by regionMarket size of the global cruise industry in 2014, by region
- U.S. spa industry revenue 2013U.S. spa industry revenue 2013
- Burger King's EBITDA margin worldwide from 2011 to 2013Burger King's EBITDA margin worldwide from 2011 to 2013
- Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000
- Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000
- Percentage of overnight travel and destination of U.S. residents 2000Percentage of overnight travel and destination of U.S. residents 2000