Restaurant industry food and drink sales in the U.S. from 1970 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Please log in if you already have an account.
|Restaurant industry sales (in billion U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
The statistic shows the sales of the U.S. restaurant industry in 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 and from 2008 to 2014. In 2011, the U.S. restaurant industry had a sales volume of about 611.55 billion U.S. dollars.
More statistics and facts on fast food, the U.S. restaurant industry and the pizza (delivery) market.
U.S. restaurant industry - additional information
In 1970, food and drink sales in the United States restaurant industry amounted to 42.8 billion U.S. dollars. By 2013, this figure had increased by more than 15 times and, in 2014, it was forecast to increase further to 683.36 billion U.S. dollars. Restaurants in the United States have created a booming industry that employed almost 13 million people nationwide in 2012.
Unsurprisingly, the majority of food and drink sales in the U.S. restaurant industry take place in commercial restaurants. In 2013, full-service restaurant sales amounted to 206.98 billion U.S. dollars and limited-service sales were 187.07 U.S. dollars. The second largest contributor in 2013 was retail, vending, recreation and mobile vendors with sales of 62.4 billion U.S. dollars. The smallest proportion came from came from bars and taverns.
As of January 2014, things were still looking up for the U.S. restaurant industry: the monthly Restaurant Industry Tracking Survey, conducted by the National Restaurant Association, recorded a performance index score of 100.7 – any score over 100 indicates a period of expansion. The lowest performance index score between 2011 and 2014, 99.4, was recorded in August 2011. In February 2013, only ten percent of U.S. consumers reported that they had not dined out at all in the past month.
- Hotel/restaurant sector: female employees by region 2010Hotel/restaurant sector: female employees by region 2010
- Most expensive cities for business travel based on the cost of food in hotels 2010Most expensive cities for business travel based on the cost of food in hotels 2010
- Hotel / restaurant industry: percentage of female employees by region 2010Hotel / restaurant industry: percentage of female employees by region 2010
- Hospitality failure towards hotel guestHospitality failure towards hotel guest
- Marketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisisMarketing strategies by hotels during the economic crisis
- Events that may affect travel agency revenue in the next 2 years in the U.S. in 2014Events that may affect travel agency revenue in the next 2 years in the U.S. in 2014
- Most important supplier support services to travel agents in the U.S. in 2014Most important supplier support services to travel agents in the U.S. in 2014
- Revenue distribution of home-based travel agents in the U.S. in 2013, by product typeRevenue distribution of home-based travel agents in the U.S. in 2013, by product type
- Visits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airportVisits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airport
- Number of hotels in the largest hotel groupsNumber of hotels in the largest hotel groups
- Hotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPARHotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPAR