Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of Blackberry smartphone users in the United States from 2010 to 2014 (in millions)
|BlackBerry users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic illustrates the number of RIM smartphone (BlackBerry) users in the United States from 2010 to 2012, with a forecast until 2014. In 2012, there were 15.8 million smartphone users in the United States using a Blackberry operating system.
Blackberry users in the U.S. - additional information
In 2014, almost 12 million of the projected 164 smartphone users in the U.S. will own a blackberry device, equating to just under 4 percent of the population. This marks a sharp fall from the 18.8 million users in 2010 (over 6 percent of the population). This alarming loss of customers means that Blackberry recorded a loss of around 5.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2014, in contrast to the profit of almost 2.5 million U.S. dollars in 2010.
In 1999, RIM (Research in Motion) released the first of its Blackberry devices in the form of an email pager. Providing real-time push-email communications has been one of the main selling points of Bleckberry devices ever since with services such as Blackberry Messenger providing the integration of all communications into a single inbox. Despite waning numbers in recent years, the 200 millionth Blackberry smartphone was shipped in September 2012 . Most recently, RIM has undergone a platform transition, changing its name to Blackberry Limited and making new devices on a platform called Blackberry 10.
The downturn in Blackberry’s fortunes can be attributed to the increasing dominance and popularity of the Android and iOS platforms in the marketplace, which combined held over 90 percent of the U.S. smartphone market in 2013. This has seen RIM’s global market share plummet with it contributing just 0.5 percent to all global smartphone shipments in the first quarter of 2014. Blackberry has also struggled to compete with Android and iOS in the app market, with just 130,000 apps available in Blackberry World, in contrast to well over a million available both in the Google Play store and the Apple App Store.
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
Number of smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
- Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018
Number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2018 (in millions)
- Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017
Smartphone users as percentage of all mobile users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2017
- 2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone
Would you use your smartphone to vote if you had the opportunity?
- Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017+Number of smartphone users in Indonesia 2011-2017
Number of smartphone users in Indonesia from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)*
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- MP3 consumption on mobile phones in selected countries worldwide as of October 2014MP3 consumption on mobile phones in selected countries worldwide as of October 2014
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment
- Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020