United Kingdom: Real gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate from 2004 to 2014 (compared to the previous year)
|GDP growth rate compared to previous year|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the growth rate in the real GDP in the United Kingdom from 2004 to 2014. In 2011, the rate of GDP growth in the United Kingdom was at around 0.8 percent on the previous year.
The economy of the United Kingdom
GDP is used an indicator as to the shape of a national economy. It is one of the most regularly called upon measurements regarding the economic fitness of a country. GDP is the total market value of all final goods and services that have been produced in a country within a given period of time, usually a year. Inflation adjusted real GDP figures serve as an even more telling indication of a country’s economic state in that they act as a more reliable and clear tool as to a nation’s economic health.
The gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in the United Kingdom has started to level in recent years after taking a huge body blow in the financial collapse of 2008. The UK managed to rise from the state of dark desperation it was in between 2009 and 2010, from -3.97 to 1.8 percent. The country suffered acutely from the collapse of the banking industry, raising a number of questions within the UK with regards to the country’s heavy reliance on revenues coming from London's financial sector, arguably the most important in the world and one of the globe’s financial command centers. Since the collapse of the post-war consensus and the rise of Thatcherism, the United Kingdom has been swept along in a wave of individualism - collective ideals have been abandoned and the mass privatisation of the heavy industries was unveiled - opening them up to market competition and shifting the economic focus to that of service.
The Big Bang policy, one of the cornerstones of the Thatcher government programs of reform, involved mass and sudden deregulation of financial markets. This led to huge changes in the way the financial markets in London work, and saw the many old firms being absorbed by big banks. This, one could argue, strengthened the UK financial sector greatly and while frivolous and dangerous practices brought the sector into great disrepute, the city of London alone brings in around one fifth of the countries national income making it a very prominent contributor to wealth in the UK.
- Growth of the global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014Growth of the global gross domestic product (GDP) 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth in selected world regions until 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) growth in selected world regions until 2014
- Forecast on the GDP growth in selected world regions until 2014Forecast on the GDP growth in selected world regions until 2014
- Quarterly gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in the UK 2nd quarter 2013Quarterly gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in the UK 2nd quarter 2013
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in the United States 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in the United States 2014
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014
- Monthly inflation rate in China as of June 2014Monthly inflation rate in China as of June 2014
- Passenger car sales in China by model as of June 2014Passenger car sales in China by model as of June 2014
- Internet Access in Great Britain 2013Internet Access in Great Britain 2013
Report included in Corporate Account only
- Global economy - Statista Dossier 2013Global economy - Statista Dossier 2013
- United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2012United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2012
- Canada - Statista Dossier 2012Canada - Statista Dossier 2012
- Spain - Statista Dossier 2012Spain - Statista Dossier 2012
- Italy - Statista Dossier 2012Italy - Statista Dossier 2012
- Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014
- Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014
- Ukrainians' confidence in their government from 2006 to 2013Ukrainians' confidence in their government from 2006 to 2013