China - Statistics & Facts
China: statistics and market data
The People’s Republic of China (PRC) is located in East Asia, governed by the Communist party in the capital of Beijing. It has jurisdiction over 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, four municipalities, as well as Hong Kong and Macau. Mandarin Chinese is its official language, one of the most spoken languages in the world.
The PRC has the largest population in the world. In an attempt to maintain a population of about 1.2 billion, the government has established a controversial one-child policy in 2000. Despite surpassing this target, China’s population growth rate has decreased significantly. Critics maintain that an underlying reason this policy was established was in attempts to increase China’s per capita gross domestic product (GDP). Since the introduction of capitalist market principles, China’s economy has seen a rise in its share of the global GDP. However, when compared to most developed nations, economic emphasis on the industrial sector is rather strong in China.
China is one of the largest producers and consumers of agricultural goods in the world. China feeds a large portion of the world with its products such as dairy products. However, it lacks arable land despite being one of the largest countries in the world. To reach these levels of production, heavily industrialized forms of agricultural production were in use, generating a large share of the country’s greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization in China has also indirectly led to an increase in greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization and economic growth in the country has increased consumer desire for certain goods such as automobiles.
The mining and energy sector in China is growing parallel to the country's energy demand. Some of the top mining companies in the world are based in China. The vast country contains large reserves of many energy and mineral resources, although many of these reserves are found in areas away from the industrial centers of the country. The PRC has been placed under scrutiny due to its high levels of development and its heavy impact on the environment.
China is the largest global exporter and importer of goods. It has established itself as the primary trade partner of many countries worldwide.Consumer goods made in China represent a large share of the country’s exports. However, the PRC intends to reduce heavy reliance on exports and focus on domestic consumption of its manufactured goods. Despite having one of the largest GDPs in the world, China has acknowledged that the emphasis on gross output has inhibited growth and innovation.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|China's total population||1,401.81m||Details →|
|Population growth in China||0.49%||Details →|
|Fertility rate in China||1.66||Details →|
|Life expectancy in China||75.2yr||Details →|
|Gross domestic product in China||$14,839.24bn||Details →|
|China's share of global GDP||18.48%||Details →|
|China's GDP per capita||$7,332.66||Details →|
|U.S. share of total Chinese exports||18%||Details →|
|Revenue of China Petroleum & Chemical||€219bn||Details →|
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2010-2020Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2010-2020
China: growth rate of real gross domestic product (GDP) from 2010 to 2020
- Export of goods from China 2014Export of goods from China 2014
China: export of goods from 2004 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Total population of China 2010-2020Total population of China 2010-2020
China: population from 2010 to 2020 (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- China: weekly box office revenue - April 25 to May 1, 2016China: weekly box office revenue - April 25 to May 1, 2016
- Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month April 2016Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month April 2016
- Countries with the highest military spending in 2015Countries with the highest military spending in 2015
- Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2016Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2016
- China: iron ore mining by month March 2016China: iron ore mining by month March 2016