China - Statistics & Facts
China: statistics and market data
The People’s Republic of China (PRC) is located in East Asia, governed by the Communist party in the capital of Beijing. It has jurisdiction over 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, four municipalities, as well as Hong Kong and Macau. Mandarin Chinese is its official language, one of the most spoken languages in the world.
The PRC has the largest population in the world. In an attempt to maintain a population of about 1.2 billion, the government has established a controversial one-child policy in 2000. Despite surpassing this target, China’s population growth rate has decreased significantly. Critics maintain that an underlying reason this policy was established was in attempts to increase China’s per capita gross domestic product (GDP). Since the introduction of capitalist market principles, China’s economy has seen a rise in its share of the global GDP. However, when compared to most developed nations, economic emphasis on the industrial sector is rather strong in China.
China is one of the largest producers and consumers of agricultural goods in the world. China feeds a large portion of the world with its products such as dairy products. However, it lacks arable land despite being one of the largest countries in the world. To reach these levels of production, heavily industrialized forms of agricultural production were in use, generating a large share of the country’s greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization in China has also indirectly led to an increase in greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization and economic growth in the country has increased consumer desire for certain goods such as automobiles.
The mining and energy sector in China is growing parallel to the country's energy demand. Some of the top mining companies in the world are based in China. The vast country contains large reserves of many energy and mineral resources, although many of these reserves are found in areas away from the industrial centers of the country. The PRC has been placed under scrutiny due to its high levels of development and its heavy impact on the environment.
China is the largest global exporter and importer of goods. It has established itself as the primary trade partner of many countries worldwide.Consumer goods made in China represent a large share of the country’s exports. However, the PRC intends to reduce heavy reliance on exports and focus on domestic consumption of its manufactured goods. Despite having one of the largest GDPs in the world, China has acknowledged that the emphasis on gross output has inhibited growth and innovation.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|China's total population||1,401.81 m||Details →|
|Population growth in China||0.49%||Details →|
|Fertility rate in China||1.66||Details →|
|Life expectancy in China||75.2||Details →|
|Gross domestic product in China||14,839.24 bn US$||Details →|
|China's share of global GDP||18.48%||Details →|
|China's GDP per capita||7,332.66 US$||Details →|
|U.S. share of total Chinese exports||16.67%||Details →|
|Revenue of China Petroleum & Chemical||219 bn €||Details →|
- Total population of China 2009-2019Total population of China 2009-2019
China: Total population from 2009 to 2019 (in millions)
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2009-2019Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2009-2019
China: growth rate of real gross domestic product (GDP) from 2009 to 2019
- Export of goods from China 2013Export of goods from China 2013
China: export of goods from 2003 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Chinese investments abroad vs foreign investments in China 2013Chinese investments abroad vs foreign investments in China 2013
- China's pharmaceutical market distribution 2011China's pharmaceutical market distribution 2011
- Revenue growth of Chinese online game operators 2008-2017Revenue growth of Chinese online game operators 2008-2017
- Revenue of Chinese online game operators 2007-2017Revenue of Chinese online game operators 2007-2017
- Issuing volume of Chinese company IPOs in China and abroad 2009-2013Issuing volume of Chinese company IPOs in China and abroad 2009-2013
- Top electronic component e-commerce platforms in China in 2013, by GMVTop electronic component e-commerce platforms in China in 2013, by GMV
- Asset breakdown of Chinese middle class families 2011-2013Asset breakdown of Chinese middle class families 2011-2013
- Tourist visit growth during Chinese National Holiday 2013, by city of destinationTourist visit growth during Chinese National Holiday 2013, by city of destination
- Number of Chinese company IPOs domestic and abroad 2013Number of Chinese company IPOs domestic and abroad 2013
- Number of Chinese and non-Chinese company IPOs worldwide 2013Number of Chinese and non-Chinese company IPOs worldwide 2013
- Domestic IPO volume of Chinese companies 2012, by sectorDomestic IPO volume of Chinese companies 2012, by sector