India - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about India
India, located in South Asia, is the seventh-largest country in the world by area and the second-most populous country behind only China. As of 2014, it has a population forecast around 1.26 billion people, with the capital New Delhi estimated to be home to almost 17 million inhabitants. Despite the fact that India’s population has grown steadily, the fertility rate in the country is on the decline. The population increase can therefore be attributed to the improvement in infrastructure and health care which has led to an increase in the average life expectancy. However this average life expectancy is still well below that of the U.S. and China.
The Republic of India was established in January 1950 after it gained independence from the British Commonwealth in 1947 and proclaimed a new constitution. Since then India has existed as a federal republic consisting of 28 states and 7 union territories. The country’s parliamentary democracy is considered to be the largest democracy in the world and has become increasingly federal since the late 1990s as a result of social, political, and economic changes. India has no national language, but Hindi has the largest number of speakers and is also the official language used by the government.
India’s economy has been subject to considerable growth since its liberation in the early 1990s. India’s GDP growth rate has consistently been well above five percent for the last ten years. As a result of this growth, the country’s GDP was ranked the seventh largest in the world in 2015. This has also seen unemployment in India fall to less than nine percent in 2014.
The biggest industry in India is retail, which makes up almost a quarter of the nation’s GDP. Agriculture also remains a key industry with India producing products such as rice, wheat, cotton, and tea. The mining industry is also one of the major contributors to the economy of India. The country is one of the largest producers of iron ore, the fifth largest producer of bauxite, and the third largest producer of coal in the world. More recently, India has developed a reputation as a breeding ground for IT specialists and the relatively low wage levels make India a very popular destination for outsourcing. The IT industry in India is continuing to surge with over 95 billion U.S. dollar’s worth of revenue generated in 2013, contributing eight percent of the country’s overall GDP.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Population and selected facts||Values||Statistic|
|Total population of India||1,259.35m||Details →|
|Fertility rate in India||2.48||Details →|
|Life expectancy in India||66.46yr||Details →|
|Median age of Indian population||27yr||Details →|
|Total area of India||3,287,263km²||Details →|
|Gross domestic product in India||$2,090.71bn||Details →|
|GDP per capita||$2495.35||Details →|
|Inflation rate in India||4.93%||Details →|
|India's national debt to GDP ratio||66.35%||Details →|
|India's budget balance in relation to GDP||-7.03%||Details →|
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in India 2020Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in India 2020
India: Real gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate from 2010 to 2020 (compared to the previous year)
- Total population of India 2020Total population of India 2020
India: Total population from 2010 to 2020 (in millions)
- Life expectancy in India 2013Life expectancy in India 2013
India: Life expectancy at birth from 2003 to 2013 (in years)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Countries with the highest military spending in 2015Countries with the highest military spending in 2015
- Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2016Fatal civil airliner accidents by country and region 1945-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- China: clothing production by month March 2016China: clothing production by month March 2016
- Acreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by countryAcreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by country