Medicaid - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Medicaid
Since its creation in 1965, Medicaid became the largest source of medical and health-related services for U.S. Americans with a low income and limited resources. In 2013, Medicaid’s share of total U.S. health care spending amounted to around 15 percent. The program is funded by both federal and state government. As the percentage of people under Medicaid was growing during the last decade, Medicaid spending was increasing, too.
According to estimates of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), approximately 59 million people were enrolled in Medicaid in 2013. The breakdown of the enrollment shows us that over the half of them are children; other groups include adults, disabled, and aging people. While the enrollment group of disabled persons makes up only one fifth of all Medicaid enrollees, their share of Medicaid expenditures is by far the largest.
In 2010, Medicaid expenditures crossed the 400 billion U.S. dollar mark for the first time, with the federal share more than twice as high as the state funds. Among all U.S. states, New York had the highest Medicaid spending, followed by California, Texas, and Pennsylvania. Medicaid’s expenditure as a percent of total U.S. health costs is especially significant in the area of personal and residential care, Medicaid hospital costs make up almost one fifth of total U.S. hospital costs.
With the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Medicaid’s role within U.S. health care will become even more prominent. From 2014, the federal health care law will implement a substantial increase in Medicaid eligibility. Projections show us distinctly higher numbers in Medicaid enrollment starting that year. Medicaid expenditure projections anticipate a similar trend, with spending almost doubled by 2020.
- Total Medicaid enrollment 1966-2014Total Medicaid enrollment 1966-2014
Total Medicaid enrollment from 1966 to 2014 (in millions)
- U.S. health care expenditure distribution by payer 2011-2013U.S. health care expenditure distribution by payer 2011-2013
Distribution of U.S. health care expenditure from 2011 to 2013, by payer
- Total Medicaid expenditure 1966-2014Total Medicaid expenditure 1966-2014
Total Medicaid expenditure from 1966 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Percentage of U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012
- U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012
- U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans with health insurance 1990-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance by age 2010-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance by age 2010-2012
- Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance by ethnicity 2010-2012Percentage of U.S. Americans without health insurance by ethnicity 2010-2012
- Persons in the U.S. with private health insurance coverage 1984-2012 by genderPersons in the U.S. with private health insurance coverage 1984-2012 by gender
- Health insurance status of the U.S. population 2012Health insurance status of the U.S. population 2012
- U.S. Americans with government health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans with government health insurance 1990-2012
- Distribution of U.S. population with health insurance 2011-2012 by coverageDistribution of U.S. population with health insurance 2011-2012 by coverage
- U.S. Americans with private health insurance 1990-2012U.S. Americans with private health insurance 1990-2012