National Basketball Association (NBA) - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the National Basketball Association (NBA)
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is a professional basketball league in North America comprising 30 franchises, of which 29 are located in the United States and one in Canada (Toronto Raptors). The league was founded in 1946, then named the Basketball Association of America (BAA). In 1949 the BAA merged with the rival National Basketball League (NBL) to form the National Basketball Association.
Today the NBA, as a whole, generates more than 5 billion U.S. dollars in revenue each season, an average of around 170 million U.S. dollars per team (2014/15). The New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Lakers are the only teams with more than 300 million U.S. dollars in annual revenue according to Forbes. Four more teams - Houston Rockets, Chicago Bulls, Brooklyn Nets and the Golden State Warriors - generated more than 200 million U.S. dollars in revenue in 2014/15.
According to Forbes NBA team valuations, the New York Knicks are the most valuable franchise of the league with a total value of 3 billion U.S. dollars. Almost half of the NBA franchises have a value of one billion U.S. dollars or more. The least valuable franchise is the New Orleans Pelicans with a value of 650 million U.S. dollars. On average NBA franchises have an estimated value of 1.1 billion U.S. dollars. In comparison the average franchise value in the NFL was at 1.97 billion U.S. dollars, in MLB at 1.29 billion U.S. dollars and in the NHL at 505 million U.S. dollars.
During the regular season a leaguewide total of 1,230 games are played, with each team playing 82 games. The average regular season home attendance in the league was 17,849 (2015/16 season), with a total attendance of 21.95 million. According to Team Marketing Report, the average ticket price was at 55.88 U.S. dollars in the 2015/16 season.
|NBA total league revenue||$5.18bn||Details →|
|Revenue of L.A. Lakers||$304m||Details →|
|Average franchise value of NBA teams||$1245m||Details →|
|NBA franchise value of New York Knicks||$3,000m||Details →|
|NBA average ticket price||$55.88||Details →|
|Players & Salaries||Values||Statistic|
|NBA average team payroll||$79.73m||Details →|
|Player expenses of L.A. Lakers||$76m||Details →|
|Earnings of Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers)||$53.2m||Details →|
|Media & Fan Interest||Values||Statistic|
|Average TV viewership of NBA Finals games in the U.S.||20.2m||Details →|
|Twitter followers of L.A. Lakers||4,679k||Details →|
|Facebook fans of NBA||29.16m||Details →|
- Average franchise value of National Basketball Association teams 2016Average franchise value of National Basketball Association teams 2016
Average franchise value* of NBA teams from 2001 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Total NBA revenue 2001-2015+Total NBA revenue 2001-2015
Total NBA league revenue* from 2001/02 to 2014/15 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Average per game attendance in the NBA 2005-2016+Average per game attendance in the NBA 2005-2016
National Basketball Association average regular season home attendance from 2006/07 to 2015/16
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Nike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by regionNike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by region
- Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016
- Nike's revenue worldwide 2009-2016, by regionNike's revenue worldwide 2009-2016, by region
- Nike's North American revenue 2009-2016, by segmentNike's North American revenue 2009-2016, by segment
- Number of employees of Nike worldwide 2009-2016Number of employees of Nike worldwide 2009-2016