Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Average franchise value* of NBA teams from 2001 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
|Franchise value (in million U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph depicts the average franchise value of National Basketball Association franchises from 2001 to 2014. In 2004, the average franchise value was 265 million U.S. dollars.
NBA franchise value
The National Basketball Association is currently comprised of 30 franchises that, according to Forbes’ NBA Team Valuations, have an average value of 634 million U.S. dollars in 2014. This constitutes an increase in average value of almost 25 percent compared to the Forbes’ 2013 valuations. Compared to the National Football League (NFL) and Major League Baseball (MLB), franchises in the NBA are ,on average, still worth less than the football and baseball team of those leagues. Teams of Major League Baseball had an average franchise value of 744 million U.S. dollars in 2013, while teams of the National Football League had an average value of more than one billion U.S. dollars.
With a value of 1.4 billion U.S. dollars, the New York Knicks are the most valuable franchise in the NBA according to Forbes. The Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls are the only other team that are valued at one billion U.S. dollars or more. The least valuable franchise is the Milwaukee Bucks with a value of 405 million U.S. dollars, around a third of what the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers are worth.
When a franchise is sold to new ownership, the sales price has a significant impact on the value of the franchise. In 2013, for example, billionaire Vivek Ranadive purchased a 65 percent majority stake of the Sacramento Kings for a reported 348 million U.S. dollars, bringing the total valuation of the franchise to 535 million U.S. dollars. Just one year earlier Forbes had estimated the value of the franchise at 300 million U.S. dollars.
- Average franchise value in major U.S. sports leagues 2014Average franchise value in major U.S. sports leagues 2014
- Average ticket price National Basketball Association (NBA) 2013/14Average ticket price National Basketball Association (NBA) 2013/14
- Average player expenses of National Basketball Association teams 2013Average player expenses of National Basketball Association teams 2013
- Value of National Basketball Association franchises 2014Value of National Basketball Association franchises 2014
- National Hockey League average franchise value 2013National Hockey League average franchise value 2013
- World ranking of men's national soccer teams 2014World ranking of men's national soccer teams 2014
- NBA teams - number of facebook fans 2014NBA teams - number of facebook fans 2014
- NBA teams - number of Twitter followers 2014NBA teams - number of Twitter followers 2014
- Nail salon services revenue in the United States 1998-2013Nail salon services revenue in the United States 1998-2013
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2013Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2013
- Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2013Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2013