Major League Baseball (MLB) - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Major League Baseball (MLB)
Major League Baseball (MLB) is a professional sports league in North America consisting of 30 teams that play in the American League and the National League.
The league generated a total of 7.1 billion U.S. dollars in revenue in 2013, an average of around 236 million U.S. dollars per team. Around one third of these revenues is generated through ticket sales.
The New York Yankees, who are the highest-grossing team in Major League Baseball with revenues of 471 million U.S. dollars in 2013, generated around 250 million U.S. dollars of income from gate receipts alone. The Yankees are also the most valuable franchise in baseball with an estimated value of 2.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2014.
Revenue from television and media rights is also an important stream of revenue for MLB. Broadcasting deals with TBS, ESPN and Fox, starting with the 2014 season, will bring in around 12.4 billion U.S. dollars in total revenue through 2021. Teams also market their games through individual TV-deals. The New York Yankees earned about 85 million U.S. dollars in 2012 from broadcasting rights through a deal with the YES Network.
Due to its extensive regular season schedule (162 games per team, 2,420 games total leaguewide) the league has the highest total attendance amongst sports leagues worldwide (74.03 million in 2013). In 2013 average attendance at regular season games was at about 30.5 thousand. The average ticket price was at 27.48 U.S. dollars for the 2013 season.
Photo: istockphoto.com / andreypopov
|Number of participants in baseball in the U.S.||13.39m||Details →|
|Consumer spending on baseball equipment in the U.S.||$619m||Details →|
|Number of World Series won by the New York Yankees||27||Details →|
|MLB – The League||Values||Statistic|
|Major League Baseball revenue||$7.1bn||Details →|
|Average annual league revenue per team||$236.6m||Details →|
|New York Yankees revenue||$471m||Details →|
|Average franchise value||$811m||Details →|
|Luxury tax payments by MLB teams||$39.4m||Details →|
|MLB: total attendance at regular season games||74.03m||Details →|
|Marketing and Media||Values||Statistic|
|Revenue from advertising/sponsorships||$150m||Details →|
|Average TV ratings of World Series games in the U.S.||8.9||Details →|
|Average TV viewership of World Series games in the U.S.||14.9m||Details →|
|New York Yankees Twitter followers||1,129k||Details →|
|Players and Salaries||Values||Statistic|
|Average payroll of MLB teams||$106.23m||Details →|
|Average player salary in Major League Baseball||$3.39m||Details →|
- MLB average per game attendance 2014MLB average per game attendance 2014
Average per game attendance (regular season) in Major League Baseball from 2009 to 2014
- Total revenue of Major League Baseball 2013Total revenue of Major League Baseball 2013
Major League Baseball: total league revenue from 2001 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Average team valuation in Major League Baseball 2014Average team valuation in Major League Baseball 2014
Major League Baseball: average franchise value from 2002 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Total attendance at Major League Baseball regular season games 2014Total attendance at Major League Baseball regular season games 2014
- Average ticket price in Major League Baseball 2014Average ticket price in Major League Baseball 2014
- Average ticket prices in major US sports leagues 2013/14Average ticket prices in major US sports leagues 2013/14
- Forecast: revenue casinos US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue casinos US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue sports teams and clubs US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sports teams and clubs US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value musical instrument manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value musical instrument manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue racetracks US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue racetracks US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue skiing facilities US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue skiing facilities US 2008-2020