National Football League (NFL) - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the National Football League (NFL)
The National Football League (NFL) is a professional football league in the United States. The league was founded in 1920 as the American Professional Football Association and played its inaugural season with eleven teams. Today, the NFL comprises 32 teams spread out over two conferences, the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC), that each consist of four divisions.
The NFL as a whole today generates more than 10 billion U.S. dollars in revenue each season, the highest amount of all the major professional sports leagues in North America. In comparison, the revenue of Major League Baseball (MLB) was at 7.86 billion U.S. dollars in 2014, while the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Hockey League (NHL) generate between three and five billion U.S. dollars in annual revenue. The Dallas Cowboys are the highest-grossing team in the league with more than 600 million U.S. dollars in revenue, with the New England Patriots, the Washington Redskins, the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Giants rounding out the top-5 in terms of revenue in 2014.
In 2015, the Dallas Cowboys were also the most valuable franchise in the NFL with an estimated value of four billion U.S. dollars according to Forbes. League-wide franchises were worth almost two billion U.S. dollars on average. Compared to the NBA, MLB and the NHL, NFL franchises are the most valuable. The least valuable franchise is the Buffalo Bills with a value of 1.4 billion U.S. dollars, still more than the estimated average value of teams in MLB (1.2 billion U.S. dollars).
The NFL is also the professional sports league with the highest average per game attendance, drawing more than 68,000 spectators per game in the 2014 season, a total of more than 17 million. The average ticket price in the NFL was at 85.83 U.S. dollars in 2015 according to Team Marketing Report. Tickets to games of the New York Giants are the most expensive (123.4 U.S. dollars). The least expensive tickets, based on the average ticket price, are for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ games, with an average price of 57.65 U.S. dollars.
The annual championship game, the Super Bowl, is one of the biggest single day sports events in the world drawing high television ratings each year, generating several billion U.S. dollars in revenue consumer spending.
Photo: istockphoto.com / anthiacumming
|National Football League||Values||Statistic|
|Total revenue of all NFL teams||$9.17bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Dallas Cowboys||$539m||Details →|
|Brand value of New England Patriots||$500m||Details →|
|Total revenue of North American sports market||$60.78bn||Details →|
|The Super Bowl||Values||Statistic|
|TV viewership of Super Bowl||111.5m||Details →|
|Average advertisement cost of Super Bowl XLVIII (2014)||$4m||Details →|
|Estimated Super Bowl related consumer spending in the U.S.||$12.37bn||Details →|
|Money wagered in Nevada’s sports books on the Super Bowl||$115.99m||Details →|
|Players & Salaries||Values||Statistic|
|Player salaries of New Orleans Saints||$182m||Details →|
|Average annual salary of Joe Flacco (Baltimore Ravens)||$20.1m||Details →|
|Media & Fan Interest||Values||Statistic|
|Number of Twitter followers of New England Patriots||811k||Details →|
|Facebook fans of NFL||9.57m||Details →|
|Number of viewers of a NFL event (broadcast TV)||136.37m||Details →|
- Total attendance at National Football League regular season games 2014Total attendance at National Football League regular season games 2014
National Football League total attendance at regular season games 2008 to 2014 (in millions)
- National Football League - average franchise value 2015+National Football League - average franchise value 2015
National Football League average franchise value from 2000 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Total revenue of the National Football League 2014+Total revenue of the National Football League 2014
Total revenue of all National Football League teams from 2001 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: revenue sports teams and clubs US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sports teams and clubs US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value non-fluid dairy product manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value non-fluid dairy product manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue pleasure and sporting boat building Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue pleasure and sporting boat building Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue plastic product manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue plastic product manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue rubber product manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue rubber product manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020