Facebook's Future Is Mobile
The fact that Facebook sees its future on mobile devices has been undisputed for a while now. Since yesterday, it is clearer than ever. 'Home', the new Android app introduced during yesterday's presentation takes the deep Facebook integration known from iOS 6 and takes it two steps further on compatible Android smartphones.
Once installed, 'Home' lays itself atop the regular user interface and firmly positions Facebook interactions at the centre of the user experience. It has the potential to turn every Android phone into the 'Facebook Phone' that has been one of the more persistent rumours in the tech world for a while now. For Facebook, this move appears to make sense: why go through the troubles of designing an entire operating system, let alone the hardware, if you can just slam all your ideas on top of an existing OS. No less than the number one smartphone operating system in the world by the way. The potential reach of Facebook 'Home' is enormous.
Of course Facebook will start serving ads on Home's new lock screen sooner or later, and of course Zuckerberg and his team will be smart enough to exploit the total access to soft- and hardware Android grants developers. For Facebook, yesterday's event was a major step in the company's push towards mobile. Now it's up to its users to decide just how much Facebook they want on their smartphones.
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- UK support for controlling borders between EU countries 2015UK support for controlling borders between EU countries 2015
- Consumption of chemicals in 2014 by world regionConsumption of chemicals in 2014 by world region
- Forecast: shipment value breakfast cereal manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value breakfast cereal manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue drycleaning and laundry services US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue drycleaning and laundry services US 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens