The Price Gap Between iOS and Android Is Widening
The price gap between iPhones and Android phones is growing larger. Despite Apple's introduction of the slightly cheaper iPhone 5C, the average iPhone selling price was more than twice as high as the price of an average Android smartphone in 2013.
This year, the expected release of the larger-screen iPhone will likely further increase the price difference between iOS and Android phones. While Android phones are becoming cheaper and cheaper, the larger version of the iPhone 6 will reportedly be sold at a $100 premium, which could push the average price gap to $403, according to an IDC forecast. These numbers explain why, despite dwindling market share, Apple remains the largest profiteer in the smartphone industry.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to October 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of October 2014
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 4th quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Average selling price for smartphones 2012-2018, by operating systemAverage selling price for smartphones 2012-2018, by operating system
- Smart TV average selling price worldwide forecast 2011-2017Smart TV average selling price worldwide forecast 2011-2017
- New vehicle average selling price in the U.S. 2007-2013New vehicle average selling price in the U.S. 2007-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens