The Price Gap Between iOS and Android Is Widening
The price gap between iPhones and Android phones is growing larger. Despite Apple's introduction of the slightly cheaper iPhone 5C, the average iPhone selling price was more than twice as high as the price of an average Android smartphone in 2013.
This year, the expected release of the larger-screen iPhone will likely further increase the price difference between iOS and Android phones. While Android phones are becoming cheaper and cheaper, the larger version of the iPhone 6 will reportedly be sold at a $100 premium, which could push the average price gap to $403, according to an IDC forecast. These numbers explain why, despite dwindling market share, Apple remains the largest profiteer in the smartphone industry.
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to June 2015 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2015
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OSGlobal smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OS
- Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarterGlobal market share held by smartphone operating systems 2009-2013, by quarter
- Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications UK 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens