The Price Gap Between iOS and Android Is Widening
The price gap between iPhones and Android phones is growing larger. Despite Apple's introduction of the slightly cheaper iPhone 5C, the average iPhone selling price was more than twice as high as the price of an average Android smartphone in 2013.
This year, the expected release of the larger-screen iPhone will likely further increase the price difference between iOS and Android phones. While Android phones are becoming cheaper and cheaper, the larger version of the iPhone 6 will reportedly be sold at a $100 premium, which could push the average price gap to $403, according to an IDC forecast. These numbers explain why, despite dwindling market share, Apple remains the largest profiteer in the smartphone industry.
- Average selling price of smartphones worldwide 2010-2019Average selling price of smartphones worldwide 2010-2019
- Average selling price for smartphones 2012-2018, by operating systemAverage selling price for smartphones 2012-2018, by operating system
- Global average selling price of smartphones 2010-2016Global average selling price of smartphones 2010-2016
- China: production of cell phones by month March 2016China: production of cell phones by month March 2016
- China: mobile phone subscribers by month February 2016China: mobile phone subscribers by month February 2016
- Number of global social network users 2010-2019Number of global social network users 2010-2019
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2016, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2016, by month
- Internet usage time in the United States 2010-2015Internet usage time in the United States 2010-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens