By Next Year 80% of iPhone Sales Could Be Replacements
As Apple's iPhone business is maturing, it is changing considerably. Having reached the lion's share of potential buyers by now, unit sales growth is naturally slowing down and the majority of iPhone purchases is no longer to new customers but to existing ones who upgrade to a newer model.
As the changes brought along by new iPhone models have become increasingly incremental rather than fundamental, Apple is struggling to convince iPhone users of updating their phone at least every other year, which could be why this year's new iPhone will reportedly bring a change that Apple has long hesitated to make. For some time now people have been asking for a larger-screen iPhone which, it seems, Apple will finally deliver this fall. The decision to introduce a large-screen iPhone could not only help convince existing iPhone users to shell out for a new model, but also tempt some Android devotees to try something else for a change.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- App StoresMonthly Mobile App Usage in the U.S.
This chart shows mobile app usage by Android and iPhone users in the United States by age.
- SmartphonesApple Beats Competitors In Smartphone Brand Loyalty
This chart shows the brand retention rate for selected smartphone vendors.
- Smartphone market in ChinaApple Fails to Gain Traction in China's Smartphone Market
This chart breaks down smartphone sales in four major markets between March and May 2014, by operating system.
- Mobile App UsageHow Many Apps U.S. Smartphone Owners Use Per Month
This chart shows how many apps U.S. smartphone owners use per month and how much time they spend with apps.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2014
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Apple product sales comparison 2009-2014, by quarterApple product sales comparison 2009-2014, by quarter
- Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2014Apple iPhones: quarterly revenue 2007-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter