By Next Year 80% of iPhone Sales Could Be Replacements
As Apple's iPhone business is maturing, it is changing considerably. Having reached the lion's share of potential buyers by now, unit sales growth is naturally slowing down and the majority of iPhone purchases is no longer to new customers but to existing ones who upgrade to a newer model.
As the changes brought along by new iPhone models have become increasingly incremental rather than fundamental, Apple is struggling to convince iPhone users of updating their phone at least every other year, which could be why this year's new iPhone will reportedly bring a change that Apple has long hesitated to make. For some time now people have been asking for a larger-screen iPhone which, it seems, Apple will finally deliver this fall. The decision to introduce a large-screen iPhone could not only help convince existing iPhone users to shell out for a new model, but also tempt some Android devotees to try something else for a change.
- Share of iPhone installed base worldwide by model 2015-2016Share of iPhone installed base worldwide by model 2015-2016
- Apple iPhone U.S. users by device family 2014-2015Apple iPhone U.S. users by device family 2014-2015
- Apple iPhone smartphone users in the U.S. 2012-2016Apple iPhone smartphone users in the U.S. 2012-2016
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Apple's revenue worldwide 2004-2016Apple's revenue worldwide 2004-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl