U.S. Teens Love Beats Headphones
Apple is apparently in advanced talks to buy headphone maker Beats Electronics in a deal that could be worth $3.2 billion. Many people are puzzled why Apple would want to acquire Beats: reviewers have repeatedly described Beats headphones as average, an attribute that doesn't fit with Apple's mantra to make the best products in the world. Some are arguing that Apple is buying Beats for its streaming service Beats Music, which was launched earlier this year. If so, the question is why Apple doesn't buy Spotify or Rdio, two established streaming services that don't come with the additional weight of a hardware business.
From an economic point of view, a $3 billion purchase of Beats doesn't seem like that bad a deal. After all, despite its mediocre reviews, Beats headphones are immensely popular among the youth, as anyone who has recently used public transportation can testify. Running a well-oiled marketing machine, heavily relying on celebrity endorsements Beats managed to make its headphones the hottest brand in the industry. The result of a Spring 2014 survey among American teenagers speaks for itself: 46% of the respondents claimed that their next pair of headphones is going to be a pair of Beats. Ranked second, ironically, at 25% was no other than Apple itself.
- The most successful music tours worldwide in 1st half 2014, based on gross revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
The most successful music tours worldwide 2014
- Most Grammy Award-winning individuals of all time as of 2014
Most Grammy-winning individuals of all time
- Most popular songs in the United States in 2013, based on internet streams
Most popular songs in the U.S. in 2013, based on internet streams
- Snapchat: preferred brands of U.S. fans 2014Snapchat: preferred brands of U.S. fans 2014
- Most viewed FIFA World Cup ads on YouTube 2014Most viewed FIFA World Cup ads on YouTube 2014
- Favorite techonolgy brands of young people in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Favorite techonolgy brands of young people in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Price of selected acquisitions by Apple Inc. as of May 2014Price of selected acquisitions by Apple Inc. as of May 2014
- Key data on Beats Music 2014Key data on Beats Music 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens