Newspapers Lose Relevance as a News Source
As new technologies emerge, the roles of established technologies often change. Before television reached broad adoption in the 1950s, people had to rely on radios and newspapers to get the latest news from around the world.
The role of television was challenged by the internet and the way we consume online news is about to be changed by mobile devices.
Last week, mobile ad network Mojiva published the results of a survey regarding news consumption of smartphone and tablet owners in the United States. The results of the survey among 2,000 mobile device owners show that computers and television are the primary news source for most respondents. Meanwhile only one percent of smartphone and tablet owners consider newspapers their primary news source.
Now that online sources deliver news 24/7, newspapers appear to have lost relevance as a news medium. To avoid obsolescence, newspaper publishers should embrace their new role and focus on in-depth analysis rather than news delivery.
- Which of the following types of news is most important to you?
Level of interest in various news types in the U.S. in 2014
- Which offline news brands have you accessed in the last week?
Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2014
- Which online news brands have you accessed in the last week?
Leading online news brands in the U.S. 2014
- Leading newspaper websites ranked by visitors in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2014Leading newspaper websites ranked by visitors in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2014
- Monthly audience of newspaper websites in the U.S. 2013-2014Monthly audience of newspaper websites in the U.S. 2013-2014
- Leading news sources used in the United Kingdom (UK) as of 2013Leading news sources used in the United Kingdom (UK) as of 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens