Tech Companies in 2012 - Scoresheet
To compile this graphic, we awarded 1 to 10 points in three categories: profit, revenue growth and stock performance. The points were awarded based solely on rank and are not weighted.
According to our (admittedly simple) point system, LinkedIn is this year's winner in the tech economy. The social network for professionals continued to post impressive revenue growth while returning to profitability.
Apple and Samsung continued to dominate the smartphone market which earned both of them a spot in the Top 3 of our ranking.
Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook will likely be happy to leave 2012 behind. What was supposed to be Facebook's big year, turned out to be a year to forget. The company's overhyped and ultimately botched IPO earned Facebook a ton of bad press and despite delivering some positive news in the past months the stock price has yet to return to its IPO price of $38.
Please note that this infographic is in no way supposed to be a scientific comparison. It is merely meant to be a fun and illustrative way of comparing the performances of companies a lot of people care about.
- Percentage of U.S. internet users who use LinkedIn as of September 2014, by age group
Share of U.S. internet users who use LinkedIn 2014, by age group
- Registered members of LinkedIn worldwide as of October 2014, by country (in millions)
LinkedIn's membership worldwide as of October 2014, by country
- LinkedIn's net revenue from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
LinkedIn's net revenue as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2014-2020Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2014-2020
- Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon and eBay 2006-2013
- Stock performance of tech companies following their IPOStock performance of tech companies following their IPO
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens