Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Please log in if you already have an account.
|Number of users (in millions)|
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic gives information on the total number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014. As of 2014, the number of internet users worldwide was 2.92 billion, up from 2.71 billion in the previous year.
Easier access to computers, the modernization of countries around the world and an increased utilization of smartphones has given people the opportunity to use the internet more frequently and with more convenience. However, the total number of internet users in certain countries often pertains to their living conditions. As of February 2014, there were approximately 354.6 million internet users in China and 194.7 million internet users in the U.S. that were aged over 15. When comparing each country’s internet users to their total population, broadband online penetration in densely populated countries is relatively low.
Social networking is one of the most popular online activities and Facebook is the most popular online network based on active usage. As of Q1 2014, there are a total of roughly 1.3 billion monthly active Facebook users, for almost have of worldwide online users. Social networks also allow for companies to advertise to a wider range of customers. In 2013, the global internet advertising revenue amounted to approximately 117.2 billion U.S. dollars and is expected to increase to 194.5 billion U.S. dollars by 2018.
- Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013
- Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2014Daily internet users in Great Britain 2006-2014
- Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by frequencyNumber of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by frequency
- Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016
- Brazil: number of internet users 2011-2018Brazil: number of internet users 2011-2018
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Growth of global ad spend 2016 vs. 2013, by mediumGrowth of global ad spend 2016 vs. 2013, by medium
- Growth of advertising spending worldwide 2013-2016Growth of advertising spending worldwide 2013-2016
- Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.
- Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category