Motor vehicle production - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about motor vehicle production
In 2011, more than 20 million commercial vehicles and approximately 60 million passenger cars were produced globally. According to a forecast by PwC, in 2017 a total of 97 million vehicles will be manufactured worldwide.
The biggest production plants can be found in China, the United States and Germany. China’s global market share in auto production was more than 18 percent in 2011. It was almost 10 percent higher than Germany’s market share and 6 percent higher than the U.S. market share.
In the U.S., the number of commercial vehicles being produced has continuously increased since 1980. Approximately 8.7 million commercial vehicles were manufactured in 2011. Passenger car production totaled 2.98 million units in 2011. According to a forecast, U.S. vehicle production rates will continue to rise until at least 2015.
In 2011, the biggest automobile producer was Volkswagen. The German company produced more cars and commercial vehicles than Ford, Renault and Suzuki together. In 2010, the leading truck manufacturer worldwide was FAW from China. The company produced 211,000 trucks in that year alone.
Photo: istockphoto.com / henrik5000
|Global Motor Vehicle Production||Values||Statistic|
|Worldwide annual passenger car production||65.44m||Details →|
|Annual commercial vehicle production worldwide||21.86m||Details →|
|Annual passenger car production in China||18.09m||Details →|
|Annual passenger car production in Japan||8.19m||Details →|
|Motor Vehicle Production in the United States||Values||Statistic|
|Annual passenger car production in the U.S.||4.35m||Details →|
|Number of vehicles produced by GM in June 2013||277,101||Details →|
|Number of employees in U.S. motor vehicle and parts manufacturing||782,000||Details →|
|U.S. motor vehicle and parts manufacturing gross output||$531,691m||Details →|
|Manufacturers & Production Forecast||Values||Statistic|
|Volkswagen’s worldwide vehicle production||9,255k||Details →|
|Number of passenger cars produced by GM annually||6.61m||Details →|
|Toyota’s worldwide vehicle production||8,698k||Details →|
|Forecasted growth of global vehicle production by 2017||97m||Details →|
|Forecast for the worldwide number of hybrid and electric vehicles in 2020||88.4m||Details →|
- Worldwide automobile production through 2013Worldwide automobile production through 2013
Worldwide automobile production from 2000 to 2013 (in million vehicles)
- Global passenger vehicle production by country or region 2013Global passenger vehicle production by country or region 2013
Global passenger vehicle production in 2013, by country or region
- Changes in worldwide vehicle production by region 2011-2013Changes in worldwide vehicle production by region 2011-2013
Global vehicle production growth from 2011 to 2013, by region
- U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012
- South Carolina - registered motor vehicles in 2011, by vehicle typeSouth Carolina - registered motor vehicles in 2011, by vehicle type
- North Carolina - registered motor vehicles in 2011, by vehicle typeNorth Carolina - registered motor vehicles in 2011, by vehicle type