Hybrid Vehicle Sales Are Taking Off
After a relatively slow start, sales of hybrid vehicles in the United States have really taken off. The very first hybrid models were imported to the United States and went on sale during the late 1990s. Japanese firms led the way and still have a dominant grip on the market.
The Honda Insight was the first hybrid automobile to go on sale, though it was quickly joined and overhauled by the Toyota Prius. American firms struggled to compete with mass-produced Japanese hybrids, and the first home-grown examples only appeared in 2004 in the shape of the Ford Escape.
Since then, American vehicles like the Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu have proven successful, but failed to wrestle away Japanese dominance of the hybrid market. In 2002, a total of 22,335 hybrid vehicles were sold in the United States – all imported models. By the end of 2012, the total amount sold had risen steeply to 431,798.
Of these, 114,291 were domestically produced while the majority, 317,507, were imported vehicles. Even though automobile companies in the United States are struggling to keep up with their Japanese competitors, Americans are driving more hybrids today, which is great news for the environment.
- Automotive IndustryToyota is the World Champion in Recalls
This chart shows large recalls among car manufacturers (in million vehicles)*.
- Automotive IndustryElectric Cars by the Numbers
This chart provides an overview of electric and hybrid vehicles.
- Automotive IndustryU.S. Automobile Sales Soar in August
This chart shows light vehicle sales in the United States August 2007 – August 2013.
- Revenue of the leading car manufacturers worldwide in FY 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of the leading car manufacturers worldwide 2013
- Sales of passenger cars in selected countries worldwide from 2005 to 2013 (in million units)
Passenger cars - sales in selected countries worldwide 2005-2013
- Passenger car production in selected countries in 2013, by country (in million units)
Passenger cars - major producing countries 2013
- Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013
- Production of electric cars and hybrid cars in China from 2012 to 2017Production of electric cars and hybrid cars in China from 2012 to 2017
- Hybrid fueled used cars sold in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014Hybrid fueled used cars sold in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter