The Rapid Rise of Digital Music
In 2013, global digital music revenues reached $5.9 billion, up from just $400 million in 2004. The lion's share of digital music revenue is still generated by paid downloads, although streaming services (subscription-based and ad-supported) quickly catch up. In 2013, global download revenues declined by 2.1 percent, while subscription-based and ad-supported streaming revenues grew 51.3 and 17.6 percent, respectively.
- Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014
- Digital music revenue in the United States from 2008 to 2014, by type (in million U.S. dollars)
Digital music revenue in the U.S. from 2008 to 2014, by type
- Music sales in Australia from 2005 to 2014, by platform (in million Australian dollars)
Music sales in Australia from 2005 to 2014, by platform
- Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2014
- Music industry: worldwide revenues from 2002 to 2014, by sectorMusic industry: worldwide revenues from 2002 to 2014, by sector
- Digital music revenue worldwide 2008-2014, by formatDigital music revenue worldwide 2008-2014, by format
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens