Streaming Boom Adds Fuel To Digital Music Growth
Global digital music revenues reached an all-time high of $5.9 billion last year as revenues from streaming services, both ad-supported (+17.6%) and subscription-based (+51.3%), saw strong growth that outweighed a slight decline in download sales (-2.1%).
Looking at the past five years, downloads are still up by more than 50%, however, the recent slowdown suggests that the download market may have peaked, while streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify and iTunes Radio are just taking off. Considering the slowdown in download sales, it makes perfect sense that Apple is reportedly thinking about launching an on-demand streaming service that goes beyond iTunes Radio.
- Digital music revenue in the United States from 2008 to 2014, by type (in million U.S. dollars)
Digital music revenue in the U.S. from 2008 to 2014, by type
- Music sales in Australia from 2005 to 2014, by platform (in million Australian dollars)
Music sales in Australia from 2005 to 2014, by platform
- Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2013
- Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2013Global digital music revenue from 2004 to 2013
- Digital music revenue worldwide in 2012, by sourceDigital music revenue worldwide in 2012, by source
- Digital music revenue worldwide 2008-2013, by formatDigital music revenue worldwide 2008-2013, by format
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens