Streaming Boom Adds Fuel To Digital Music Growth
Global digital music revenues reached an all-time high of $5.9 billion last year as revenues from streaming services, both ad-supported (+17.6%) and subscription-based (+51.3%), saw strong growth that outweighed a slight decline in download sales (-2.1%).
Looking at the past five years, downloads are still up by more than 50%, however, the recent slowdown suggests that the download market may have peaked, while streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify and iTunes Radio are just taking off. Considering the slowdown in download sales, it makes perfect sense that Apple is reportedly thinking about launching an on-demand streaming service that goes beyond iTunes Radio.
- Global digital music revenue 2004-2014Global digital music revenue 2004-2014
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music ARPU in the UK 2014-2020, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music ARPU in the UK 2014-2020, by format
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2015Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2015
- Digital share of global media revenue 2015, by mediumDigital share of global media revenue 2015, by medium
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015
- Album unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015, by formatAlbum unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015, by format
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens