Streaming Boom Adds Fuel To Digital Music Growth
Global digital music revenues reached an all-time high of $5.9 billion last year as revenues from streaming services, both ad-supported (+17.6%) and subscription-based (+51.3%), saw strong growth that outweighed a slight decline in download sales (-2.1%).
Looking at the past five years, downloads are still up by more than 50%, however, the recent slowdown suggests that the download market may have peaked, while streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify and iTunes Radio are just taking off. Considering the slowdown in download sales, it makes perfect sense that Apple is reportedly thinking about launching an on-demand streaming service that goes beyond iTunes Radio.
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue change in the UK 2016-2021, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music revenue change in the UK 2016-2021, by format
- Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in the UK 2015-2021, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in the UK 2015-2021, by format
- Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2016Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2016
- Turnover in the music industry in Denmark from 2012-2015Turnover in the music industry in Denmark from 2012-2015
- Global music industry revenue 2015-2020Global music industry revenue 2015-2020
- Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl