Streaming Boom Adds Fuel To Digital Music Growth
Global digital music revenues reached an all-time high of $5.9 billion last year as revenues from streaming services, both ad-supported (+17.6%) and subscription-based (+51.3%), saw strong growth that outweighed a slight decline in download sales (-2.1%).
Looking at the past five years, downloads are still up by more than 50%, however, the recent slowdown suggests that the download market may have peaked, while streaming services such as Pandora, Spotify and iTunes Radio are just taking off. Considering the slowdown in download sales, it makes perfect sense that Apple is reportedly thinking about launching an on-demand streaming service that goes beyond iTunes Radio.
- Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019Digital music revenue in the U.S. by source 2010-2019
- Digital music revenue worldwide 2015-2020, by sourceDigital music revenue worldwide 2015-2020, by source
- Digital music revenue in Japan 2009-2014, by distribution channelDigital music revenue in Japan 2009-2014, by distribution channel
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016
- Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Album unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by formatAlbum unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by format
- Music industry revenue in Norway 2012-2015 Music industry revenue in Norway 2012-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl