Apple Got Sued 59 Times Over Patents Last Year
The number of patent lawsuits in the United States reached an all-time high of 6,088 cases last year, up from 5,418 new cases in 2012. According to Lex Machina's report on patent litigation, many of the lawsuits came from so-called patent monetization entities (also known as patent trolls), whose business model is to create income from licensing or litigating patents, rather than producing an actual product. All of the Top 10 plaintiffs fit the latter category, with some of them filing more than a hundred cases in 2013.
The most frequent target of patent lawsuits was no lesser company than Apple, who was a defendant in 59 cases. Ironically, Apple was also one of the largest beneficiaries of patent lawsuits last year. The company was awarded more than $800 million in damages from Samsung alone.
- Companies with the most patents granted in 2014Companies with the most patents granted in 2014
- U.S. bioscience-related patents 2009-2013U.S. bioscience-related patents 2009-2013
- Percentage of country share in biotechnology patents 2010-2012Percentage of country share in biotechnology patents 2010-2012
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens