The Rise of the Sharing Economy
With services like Uber, Airbnb and countless local bike and car sharing schemes taking off, sharing is quickly gaining acceptance as an alternative way of thinking about property. Whether the motives are monetary, ecological or even altruistic, sharing has certainly created a bit of hype recently.
Our chart, based on Nielsen data, shows how accepting people in different parts of the world are of sharing communities. Interestingly, consumers in emerging regions seem to be more open to sharing than those in Europe and North America. However, the overall acceptance of sharing schemes is pretty high.
- Car sharing users in 2011, by countryCar sharing users in 2011, by country
- Number of vehicles on the car sharing market, by countryNumber of vehicles on the car sharing market, by country
- Car sharing - consumers likely to consider such programs in 2012Car sharing - consumers likely to consider such programs in 2012
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens