National Hockey League: average attendance at regular season games 2008/09 to 2013/14
Please log in if you already have an account.
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This graph depicts the average attendance at regular season games in the National Hockey League from the 2008/09 season to the 2013/14 season. In the 2008/09 season, the average attendance at NHL games was 17,476.
NHL average attendance - additional information
The average attendance at regular seasons NHL games has remained consistently around 17,000 since 2008, with the average for the 2013/14 recorded as 17,587. On the back of their Presidents’ Trophy and Stanley Cup wins in the 2012/13 season, the Chicago Blackhawks recorded the highest average home attendance in the league during the 2013/14 season, with an average of 22,623 fans watching each home game.
A total of 21.63 million people watched NHL games live during the 2013/14 season, with each team welcoming an average of 721,000 people to their home games across the whole season. The average is significantly higher than the figure from the 2012/13, which stood at 425,000. This figure can be attributed to the NHL lockout which cut the total games for the season from 82 to 48, meaning that each team only played a total of 24 home games, as opposed to the customary 41 games.
The NHL lockout, the first of its kind since the 2004 lockout which forced the whole NHL season to be cancelled, was a labor dispute that began in September 2012 and did not end until a tentative agreement was reached in January 2013. The lockout was announced after a new agreement could not be reached before the expiry of the NHL collective bargaining agreement on September 16, 2012.
The lockout was caused by key disagreements between owners and players on issues such as players’ shares of revenues, the length of players’ contracts, and the rules on free agency. When the season belatedly started on January 19, 2013, the Chicago Blackhawks set an NHL record of 24 consecutive games without a regulation loss.
- Average attendance of major sports leagues around the world 2013/14Average attendance of major sports leagues around the world 2013/14
Major sports leagues worldwide ranked by average per game attendance in 2013/14 (in 1,000s)
- Number of people who attended a National Hockey League event (USA), 2014+Number of people who attended a National Hockey League event (USA), 2014
NHL event attendance: Number of people who attended a National Hockey League event within the last 12 months in the United States (USA) from spring 2008 to spring 2014 (in millions)
- Average ticket price in the National Hockey League 2014/15Average ticket price in the National Hockey League 2014/15
National Hockey League: average ticket price from 2006/07 to 2014/15 (in U.S. dollars)
- Revenue of National Hockey League franchises 2013/14+Revenue of National Hockey League franchises 2013/14
National Hockey League revenue by team 2013/14 season (in million U.S. dollars)*
- Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2013/14+Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2013/14
Average per game attendance of the five major sports leagues in North America 2013/14
- NHL franchise value of the Columbus Blue Jackets 2014NHL franchise value of the Columbus Blue Jackets 2014
- National Hockey League average franchise value 2014National Hockey League average franchise value 2014
- Total revenue of the National Hockey League 2013/14Total revenue of the National Hockey League 2013/14
- Total revenue sports market worldwide 2005-2017Total revenue sports market worldwide 2005-2017
- Nail salon services revenue in the United States 1998-2013Nail salon services revenue in the United States 1998-2013
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2013Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2013