Statistics and facts about Pinterest
by Jessica Kril
According to comScore, social networking site Pinterest was the fastest site in history to reach 10 million unique monthly visitors and high user engagement metrics; a significant feat especially when considering that during much its initial launch and growth, the site was invitation-only. Today, Pinterest is one of the top referral traffic generating websites online.
• Number of unique U.S. visitors to Pinterest
• Pinterest as one of the leading sources of worldwide internet referral traffic
• Distribution of social networking referral visits to retail apparel websites
The social network’s audience in the United States is predominantly female
and increasingly mobile
• Percentage of U.S. internet users who use Pinterest, by gender
• Percentage of U.S. internet users who use Pinterest, by age group
• Percentage of U.S. internet users who use Pinterest, by annual household income
Pinterest’s U.S. audience is a strong example for women’s growing presence
in not only social media but also e-commerce, most importantly mobile and social commerce. The social site’s strong user engagement
with popular topics and themes such as fashion, home, garden and DIY and subsequently, relevant brands
, forms the basis for its leading position in the area of social commerce.
• Site categories with the highest concentration of Pinterest visitors
• Most popular retailers ranked by Pinterest upstream traffic
• How have you engaged with brands, retailers and the items they sell on Pinterest and Facebook?
Pinterest also attracts online buyers
without an account on the social networking site, prompting more and more retailers to recognize the importance of social sharing and visual blogging as a marketing tactic. Many retailers and online shops have already started to maintain their own Pinterest account, creating an active and accessible brand presence via custom pinboards
and customer interaction.