South Korea and Japan Top Internet Speed Ranking
For some time now, South Korea has boasted the highest average internet connection speed in the world. In the second quarter of 2013, South Korean internet users surfed at an average speed of 13.3 Mbps, 53 percent faster than Americans whose connection speed averaged at 8.7 Mbps. To add a little perspective: at 8.7 Mbps, it takes a little less than an hour to download a 2-hour movie in HD quality (file size 3GB-4GB).
The United States is ranked 8th in the global speed ranking that is topped by South Korea, Japan and Switzerland, the latter having displaced Hong Kong from third rank. The global average connection speed was measured at 3.3 Mbps, after having passing 3 Mbps for the first time in the first quarter of this year.
- 2014 FIFA World CupWorld Cup Humiliations Are a Rare Event
This chart shows the biggest World Cup wins in history.
- Internet usage worldwideThe U.S. Comes 7th for High Speed Internet Penetration
This chart shows the top 10 countries with the highest penetration of 10+ Mbps Internet connections.
- NetflixThe End Of Net Neutrality?
This chart illustrates how the Netflix connection speeds of Comcast subscribers have improved dramatically after the two companies had struck a deal allowing Netflix direct access to Comcast's broadband network.
- DemographyRapid Aging Will Become a Major Problem in East Asia
This chart shows the proportion of people estimated to be aged 65 and older in 2010 and 2050.
- Global Climate ChangeSt. Kitts and Nevis Has Shrunken by a Quarter Since 1961
This chart shows the countries with the greatest percentage of land area lost since 1961.
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000Number of overnight travelers from other countries to the U.S. 2000
- Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000Overnight travel to the U.S. from other countries in 2000
- Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter