South Korea and Japan Top Internet Speed Ranking
For some time now, South Korea has boasted the highest average internet connection speed in the world. In the second quarter of 2013, South Korean internet users surfed at an average speed of 13.3 Mbps, 53 percent faster than Americans whose connection speed averaged at 8.7 Mbps. To add a little perspective: at 8.7 Mbps, it takes a little less than an hour to download a 2-hour movie in HD quality (file size 3GB-4GB).
The United States is ranked 8th in the global speed ranking that is topped by South Korea, Japan and Switzerland, the latter having displaced Hong Kong from third rank. The global average connection speed was measured at 3.3 Mbps, after having passing 3 Mbps for the first time in the first quarter of this year.
- Number of internet users in selected countries and regions as of May 2014 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in May 2014, by country
- Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2014
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2014 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014
- South Korea vs world average: mobile device ownership 2013, by screen sizeSouth Korea vs world average: mobile device ownership 2013, by screen size
- B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP in South Korea 2009-2018B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP in South Korea 2009-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens