Asia-Pacific Leads the World in Mobile Traffic Consumption
The way we use mobile phones has changed significantly over the past few years. Since the introduction of the first iPhone in 2007, more and more online activities have gradually been shifted to smartphones, leading to ever-growing mobile data consumption.
Mobile phone users from the Asia-Pacific region have the highest data needs on average. They consume an average of 1.1 gigabytes per month, with half of them using more than 336 megabytes.
The lowest data consumption can be observed in Africa, where the average mobile phone user consumes just 21MB of data per month. The explanation for this is quite straight forward, as smartphone penetration is much lower in Africa than in other parts of the world. While many Africans use their mobile phones to perform financial transactions, most of them still rely on feature phones which consume very little data.
Note: The median is the value that separates the sample in half, i.e. half of the sample population consume less data than the median and half of the sample consume more data than the median. The mean represents the average data consumption across the whole sample.
- Global mobile data traffic from 2014 to 2019 (in exabytes per month)
Global mobile data traffic 2014-2019
- Percentage of time spent on mobile web and apps on connected devices in the United States 2013 and 2014
Distribution of time spent on web and apps in the U.S. 2013-2014
- Mobile-only visitors to leading multi-platform web properties in the United States in January 2014 (in millions)
Mobile-only visitors to leading U.S. web properties in January 2014
- Mobile-only visitors to leading U.S. web properties in January 2014Mobile-only visitors to leading U.S. web properties in January 2014
- North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2012-2017North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2012-2017
- Global mobile data traffic 2014-2019Global mobile data traffic 2014-2019
- Distribution of time spent on web and apps in the U.S. 2013-2014Distribution of time spent on web and apps in the U.S. 2013-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens