Asia-Pacific Leads the World in Mobile Traffic Consumption
The way we use mobile phones has changed significantly over the past few years. Since the introduction of the first iPhone in 2007, more and more online activities have gradually been shifted to smartphones, leading to ever-growing mobile data consumption.
Mobile phone users from the Asia-Pacific region have the highest data needs on average. They consume an average of 1.1 gigabytes per month, with half of them using more than 336 megabytes.
The lowest data consumption can be observed in Africa, where the average mobile phone user consumes just 21MB of data per month. The explanation for this is quite straight forward, as smartphone penetration is much lower in Africa than in other parts of the world. While many Africans use their mobile phones to perform financial transactions, most of them still rely on feature phones which consume very little data.
Note: The median is the value that separates the sample in half, i.e. half of the sample population consume less data than the median and half of the sample consume more data than the median. The mean represents the average data consumption across the whole sample.
- Average monthly data volume per mobile internet user in Germany 2009-2015Average monthly data volume per mobile internet user in Germany 2009-2015
- Distribution of mobile internet users in China in 2011, by monthly data volumeDistribution of mobile internet users in China in 2011, by monthly data volume
- Share of mobile internet users in Germany 2014, by household incomeShare of mobile internet users in Germany 2014, by household income
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016
- U.S. mobile retail commerce revenue 2013-2020U.S. mobile retail commerce revenue 2013-2020
- Media reach in the U.S. 2016Media reach in the U.S. 2016
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Number of global social network users 2010-2020Number of global social network users 2010-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl