Here's What Facebook Gets for $19 Billion
Mobile messaging startup WhatsApp continues to stand strong in the face of competition from some of the largest players in the communications industry. The company’s co-founder and CEO Jan Koum announced at a conference this week that WhatsApp now boasts 430 million active users, up from 200 million in April 2013. This achievement is all the more impressive considering the big names WhatsApp is competing with: Facebook, Skype and Apple, just to name a few.
Maybe it's part of WhatsApp's success that it doesn't have a big player behind it, but it might as well be the app's simple (some say ugly) design and its cross-platform functionality that makes it so appealing to its audience. Especially younger smartphone users have quickly adopted the service as a cheap alternative to texting.
Whatsapp currently handles an impressive 50 billion messages per day. The service also sees hundreds of millions of photo uploads every day, putting it far beyond the number of dedicated photo sharing services such as Instagram (55m photos per day).
Update: On February 19, Facebook announced that it had agreed to acquire WhatsApp for a total of $19 billion in chas and stock.
- U.S. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger usage 2013, by ageU.S. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger usage 2013, by age
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Weekly instant messenger use on mobile phones in the UK 2014-2015, by ageWeekly instant messenger use on mobile phones in the UK 2014-2015, by age
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl