Will Music Streaming Ever Be Profitable?
Music streaming services have become very popular in recent years and services such as Spotify and Pandora have gathered millions of users across the globe. As download revenues have started to decline, streaming is expected to be the main growth driver of the music industry in the next few years.
Spotify and Pandora are perhaps the most popular streaming services out there and their revenue growth reflects the growing acceptance of paying for streamed music.
Both companies are generating more than $500 million in annual revenue from advertising and subscriptions. Yet both companies share the same problem: As user numbers rise and revenue subsequently increases, so do licensing fees and other costs. While both companies have shown remarkable revenue growth, both are far from profitable. Spotify's loss amounted to roughly $80 million in 2012 (the company has yet to publish results for 2013) while Pandora lost $41 million in the past year. An analysis published by Generator Research last year concluded that the streaming business in its current state was "inherently unprofitable" and that "no current music subscription service — including marquee brands like Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody — can ever be profitable, even if they execute perfectly.”
Spotify’s CEO Daniel Ek once said that his company paid 70 percent of its income back to the music industry, leaving just 30 percent to cover costs for marketing, product development and infrastructure. If Apple really acquires Beats Electronics to double down on streaming, the company will have one huge advantage over its competitors: It doesn't need to make money off streaming. Apple will likely be more than happy to take a loss with its streaming service, as long as it gets people to buy more of the company's gadgets. Spotify and Pandora don't enjoy the luxury of a profitable billion dollar business supporting their services, hence they will one day need to figure out how to actually make music streaming profitable.
- Music IndustryStreaming Boom Stifles Music Downloads
This chart illustrates how streaming continues to grow, while things go downhill for basically every other way music distribution (except for good old vinyl).
- AppleiTunes Spending Is on the Decline
This chart shows estimated quarterly billings per user of Apple's iTunes and App Store.
- StreamingCord-Cutters Are Putting A Strain On Broadband Networks
This chart compares the monthly data consumption of potential cord-cutters with that of average broadband subscribers in the United States.
- MusicU.S. Teens Love Beats Headphones
This chart ranks the preferred headphone brands by American teens.
- RadioThe Good Old Radio Trumps Online Services for Music Discovery
This chart shows which services Americans use to stay up-to-date with music.
- Pandora's share of U.S. radio listening time from May 2012 to May 2014
Pandora's monthly share of U.S. radio listening time 2012-2014
- Pandora's content acquisition costs (royalty fees) from 2006 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Royalty fees paid by Pandora from 2006 to 2013
- Weekly time spent listening to AM/FM radio among Pandora listeners and non-Pandora listeners in the U.S. in 2012 (in hours)
Time spent with AM/FM radio among U.S. Pandora listeners & non-Pandora listeners
- Subscription music streaming revenue in the United Kingdom (UK)Subscription music streaming revenue in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Leading music streaming markets worldwide in 2011Leading music streaming markets worldwide in 2011
- Music streaming behavior worldwide 2011, by countryMusic streaming behavior worldwide 2011, by country
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter