Cyber Monday 2013 Was the Biggest Online Spending Day Ever
After a tepid start to the holiday season, e-commerce spending took off on Thanksgiving weekend. While the National Retail Federation reported a 3 percent decline in brick-and-mortar sales over the long weekend, e-commerce sales jumped 22 percent from last year's Thanksgiving according to analytics firm comScore.
While Black Friday marked the first day with e-commerce sales above $1 billion this year, Cyber Monday once again saw the heaviest online spending: Americans spent $1.74 billion this Monday, making it the biggest day ever for U.S. online retailers. Online retailers typically lure consumers with heavy discounts on Cyber Monday, making the day particularly interesting for big-ticket items such as consumer electronics.
- Online ShoppingBritish Adults Favour Physical Stores
This chart shows primary shopping/purchasing channels among adults in Great Britain.
- United StatesThe Richest Families in America
This chart shows the top 10 wealthiest families in the United States in 2014.
- AmazonAmazon Prime Members Heavily Outspend Non-Prime Customers
This chart shows how much Amazon Prime members spend on Amazon.com compared to regular customers.
- AmazonAmazon's Online Sales Dwarf the Competition
This chart shows the the 10 largest online retailers in the United States, based on online retail sales in 2013.
- PriceA PS4 Costs 4x as Much in Brazil as in the U.S.
This chart shows the suggested retail price for a PlayStation 4 in selected countries in 2014.
- Holiday season retail e-commerce sales figures in the United States from 2005 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. holiday season retail e-commerce sales figures 2005-2013
- Year-on-year change in visits to retail websites on U.S. peak holiday shopping days in 2013
Holiday shopping: peak shopping day traffic volume growth 2013
- U.S. online spending on Cyber Monday from 2005 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Cyber Monday: U.S. online spending 2005-2013
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013
- Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 1st quarter 2014Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 1st quarter 2014
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter