U.S. eBook Sales to Surpass Printed Book Sales in 2017
The U.S. eBook market will surpass the printed book market in 2017. That's according to a projection by PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers), who published its annual "Entertainment & Media Outlook" this week.
PwC estimates that trade eBooks (excluding educational publications) will reach $8.2 billion in sales by 2017 to surpass printed book sales, which are expected to fall from $11.9 billion in 2012 to $7.9 billion in 2017. Overall book sales are expected to stay below their 2008 level, as eBook sales fail to fully offset the decline in printed book sales.
Does this mean we are reading less? Probably not! Even if book sales remained unchanged in terms of units, the shift to eBooks would lead to a decline in dollar sales, as the average selling price for eBooks is lower than it is for printed books.
- Consumer book sales revenue in the U.S. 2008-2018, by platformConsumer book sales revenue in the U.S. 2008-2018, by platform
- Consumer book sales revenue in selected countries 2018, by platformConsumer book sales revenue in selected countries 2018, by platform
- Consumer book sales revenue in China 2009-2018, by platformConsumer book sales revenue in China 2009-2018, by platform
- Sales revenue of book publishers in Sweden from 2006-2016Sales revenue of book publishers in Sweden from 2006-2016
- Leading children's books publishers in the U.S. 2016Leading children's books publishers in the U.S. 2016
- U.S. children's books publishers: market shares 2016U.S. children's books publishers: market shares 2016
- Book market revenue in Germany 2011-2020Book market revenue in Germany 2011-2020
- Book publishing revenue in Sweden 2011-2020Book publishing revenue in Sweden 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl