Windows 8 Performance Remains Weak
Since its introduction in October 2012, Microsoft’s latest operating system has failed to keep up with its predecessors. In December 2013, the combined market share of Windows 8 and 8.1 reached the ten percent mark, 15 months after the operating system was released. In comparison, Windows 7 reached the same level after a mere six months.
According to data from Net Applications, an acceleration of Windows 8’s market share is not on the cards for early 2014. In January, it increased by just 0.09 percent.
Many users criticize the new Metro interface, which was designed primarily for touchscreen monitors, making it compatible with mobile devices.
- MicrosoftEnd Of Support Changes Little About Windows XP's Popularity
This chart shows the market share of the most popular desktop operating systems as of May 2014.
- Operating SystemsNearly 3 in 10 PCs Still Run Windows XP
This chart shows the global market share of operating systems in March 2014.
- MicrosoftMicrosoft Remains the World's No. 1 Software Maker
This chart ranks the world's largest software vendors in 2013 by revenue generated from software sales.
- Operating SystemsSecurity Risk Software
The chart shows the top 10 companies by the number of security vulnerabilities in 2013.
- TabletsApple Dominates Tablet Market Ahead of 'iPad Mini' Release
This chart shows global tablet shipments from Q2 2010 to Q2 2012. In Q2 2012, Apple sold 17 million iPads, accounting for 68 percent of worldwide tablet sales.
- Microsoft's global revenue in the fiscal years from 2002 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Microsoft's global revenue 2002-2014
- Microsoft's net income from 2002 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Net income of Microsoft 2002-2014
- Microsoft's revenue by segment in the 2014 financial year (in billion U.S. dollars)
Revenue of Microsoft broken down by segment 2014 financial year
- Microsoft Windows 8: number of licenses sold 2012-2014Microsoft Windows 8: number of licenses sold 2012-2014
- Number of Windows 7 licenses sold worldwide from 2009-2012Number of Windows 7 licenses sold worldwide from 2009-2012
- Mobile developers worldwide evaluate Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 OS in 2012Mobile developers worldwide evaluate Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 OS in 2012
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter