Windows 8 Performance Remains Weak
Since its introduction in October 2012, Microsoft’s latest operating system has failed to keep up with its predecessors. In December 2013, the combined market share of Windows 8 and 8.1 reached the ten percent mark, 15 months after the operating system was released. In comparison, Windows 7 reached the same level after a mere six months.
According to data from Net Applications, an acceleration of Windows 8’s market share is not on the cards for early 2014. In January, it increased by just 0.09 percent.
Many users criticize the new Metro interface, which was designed primarily for touchscreen monitors, making it compatible with mobile devices.
- Microsoft Windows 8: number of licenses sold 2012-2014Microsoft Windows 8: number of licenses sold 2012-2014
- Number of Windows 7 licenses sold worldwide from 2009-2012Number of Windows 7 licenses sold worldwide from 2009-2012
- Mobile developers worldwide evaluate Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 OS in 2012Mobile developers worldwide evaluate Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 OS in 2012
- Global market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by monthGlobal market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by month
- Operating systems market share of desktop PCs 2012-2017, by monthOperating systems market share of desktop PCs 2012-2017, by month
- Market share held by tablet operating systems in Finland 2016Market share held by tablet operating systems in Finland 2016
- Leading desktop operating systems ranked by market share in Italy 2010-2016Leading desktop operating systems ranked by market share in Italy 2010-2016
- Market share held by desktop operating systems in Norway 2016Market share held by desktop operating systems in Norway 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl