Americans Talk on Their Mobile Phones More Than Anyone Else
Today's mobile phones are much more than just phones. They are little computers with countless features and making phone calls is just one of those features. The time we spend interacting with our phones has steeply increased over the past few years. However, the time we spend actually talking on our phones is declining.
In the United States, where people spent more time talking on mobile phones than anywhere else, the number of outgoing voice minutes per subscriber declined more than 20 percent since its peak in 2007. Not coincidentally, 2007 was the year the first iPhone came out and changed the way we interact with our phones possibly forever.
As faster wireless networks enable us to use IP-based voice and messaging services such as Skype, Facetime and Whatsapp, wireless carriers have witnessed a decline in voice minutes, formerly their main source of revenue. As a consequence, many operators are now bundling telephony in their general access offers and users are no longer billed for the minutes, but rather for the amount of data they use.
In the United States and Canada, where unlimited call plans have been common for quite a while, people spend much more time talking on their phones than anywhere else. In 2011, mobile subscribers from the U.S. and Canada on average spent almost 6 hours per month on outgoing phone calls. That's almost three times as much as in the UK and more than four times as much as in Germany. It will be interesting to see how these numbers evolve over the next few years, as mobile phones increasingly replace land lines in many countries and smartphones continue to change the way we communicate.
- Revenue of voice over IP in the U.S., 2009-2014Revenue of voice over IP in the U.S., 2009-2014
- Frequency of using main mobile phone for making VoIP calls in the UK in 2014Frequency of using main mobile phone for making VoIP calls in the UK in 2014
- Countries ranked by the number of VoIP subscribers 2013Countries ranked by the number of VoIP subscribers 2013
Prognose zur Anzahl der Mobiltelefonnutzer in Deutschland von 2013 bis 2019 (in Millionen)
Prognose zur Anzahl der Mobiltelefonnutzer in Deutschland bis 2019
Marktanteile der führenden Mobiltelefonhersteller am Absatz weltweit in den Jahren 2009 bis 2014
Marktanteile der Mobiltelefonhersteller weltweit bis 2014
Ranking der wichtigsten Kaufkriterien in Deutschland bei der Neuanschaffung eines Handys oder Smartphones in den Jahren 2014 bis 2015
Umfrage in Deutschland zu den wichtigsten Kaufkriterien bei Handys/Smartphones 2015
Absatz von Apple iPhones weltweit in den Geschäftsjahren 2007 bis 2016 (in Millionen Stück)
Absatz von Apple iPhones weltweit bis 2016
Marktanteil von Apples iPhone am weltweiten Absatz von Smartphones vom 3. Quartal 2007 bis zum 3. Quartal 2016
Marktanteil des iPhone am Smartphone-Absatz weltweit bis Q3 2016
Absatz von Apple iPhones weltweit vom 3. Geschäftsquartal 2007 bis zum 4. Geschäftsquartal 2016 (in Millionen Stück)
Absatz von Apple iPhones weltweit nach Quartalen bis Q4 2016
- LINE: number of monthly active users 2014-2016LINE: number of monthly active users 2014-2016
- Global consumer internet subsegment traffic 2015-2020Global consumer internet subsegment traffic 2015-2020
- Monthly wireless service average revenue per unit in the U.S. 1993-2015Monthly wireless service average revenue per unit in the U.S. 1993-2015
- Market share of internet voice call service providers in UK 2015 to 2016Market share of internet voice call service providers in UK 2015 to 2016
- Online voice and video calls usage in Belgium 2015 by frequencyOnline voice and video calls usage in Belgium 2015 by frequency
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl