Digital Accounts For Nearly 70% of U.S. Music Revenues
It's been 11 and a half years since Apple opened the iTunes Music Store and kickstarted the digital music revolution. Since then the music industry has changed completely. In the first half of 2014, digital music distribution accounted for 69% of U.S. music revenues while CDs, formerly the industry's cash cow, accounted for a meager 23% of music sales.
Marking a milestone in the rise of digital music distribution, music streaming revenues surpassed CD sales for the first time in the United States. That’s according to data published by the Recording Industry Association of America last week [PDF]. Total streaming revenues, including revenues from subscription-based and ad-supported on-demand services as well as non-interactive online radio services, increased 28% year-over-year to reach $860 million. Meanwhile CD sales fell to $719 million and are now only the third largest source of income for the U.S. music industry. Downloads still account for the lion's share of U.S. music revenues. Despite losing some ground to streaming services, downloads generated $1.34 billion in revenue between January and June.
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music ARPU in the UK 2015-2021, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music ARPU in the UK 2015-2021, by format
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue change in the UK 2016-2021, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music revenue change in the UK 2016-2021, by format
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music user penetration in the UK 2015-2021, by formatDigital Market Outlook: digital music user penetration in the UK 2015-2021, by format
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016
- Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Album unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by formatAlbum unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by format
- Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl