Print Media's Relevance as a News Source Is Waning
Back in the day, people used to read their morning newspaper to keep up with current events. Nowadays, in the age of Twitter, smartphones and real-time information, once you pick up a newspaper, the events reported in it are hardly considered current anymore. The way people consume news has shifted radically over the past two decades and newspapers are the main victims of that tectonic shift.
According to data published by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, very few people consider print newspapers their main source of news anymore. Today's most important news sources are television and online media, with social networks taking on an increasingly large role in people's news consumption.
As people turn to other media outlets as their primary source of information, print newspapers are probably best advised to accept their new role and focus on their core strengths, which are local reporting, investigative journalism and in-depth analyses of national and global affairs.
- Frequency of trust in online news sources in the U.S. 2017Frequency of trust in online news sources in the U.S. 2017
- Popularity of online news sources in the U.S. 2016Popularity of online news sources in the U.S. 2016
- Leading types of online news sources by reach in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2014Leading types of online news sources by reach in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2014
- Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017
- News reach in the U.S. 2017, by sourceNews reach in the U.S. 2017, by source
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018Time spent with media in the U.S. 2011-2018
- Category distribution of top websites in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014Category distribution of top websites in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014
- Credibility of major news organizations in the U.S. 2017Credibility of major news organizations in the U.S. 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl