News Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the News Industry & News Media
The times when „Extra! Extra!” was delivered to eager news consumers in a paper form seem to be fading away. An increasing number of the population are turning away from the radio and newspapers and towards the internet to keep up-to-date with what is going on in the world. In 2016, the internet was used by 73 percent of the U.S. population as a source of news, in contrast to 66 percent who used television. The traditional sources of news were lagging well behind, with 26 percent of Americans consulting print media and 23 percent tuning in to the radio for the news.
However, the audience for news providers has been shrinking on the whole. In 2004, as much as 89 percent of the U.S. population enjoyed keeping up with the news. In 2012, the figure fell to 80 percent. To ensure the number does not decrease further, news outlets need to deliver information which suits the tastes of their consumers. Surveys show that Americans are most interested in news about the country (57 percent of the population), news about their town or city (52 percent) and U.S. politics (47 percent). A further report revealed that even though the majority (79 percent) of Americans appreciated impartial news coverage, over a fifth preferred news in which the reporter shared their own point of view.
Despite the usage data, radio and newspapers remain some of the most trusted news outlets in the United States. In comparison, online news and information also sites enjoyed the trust of 67 percent of the population and local TV news 78 percent. Network and cable TV news, however, scored significantly lower, with 65 and 66 percent respectively, network TV being the most mistrusted medium. The most mistrusted source, however, was online-only news sites such as Huffington Post and Yahoo! News, which were trusted by only 61 percent of the U.S. population.
|Value of the entertainment and media market in the U.S.||655.26bn USD||Details →|
|Estimated expenses of U.S. news syndicates||1.67bn USD||Details →|
|Book store and news dealer sales in the U.S.||12bn USD||Details →|
|Revenue of Gannett||3.05bn USD||Details →|
|Most important type of news for consumers||News about the country||Details →|
|Share of Americans who use radio as a source of news||23%||Details →|
|Main source of international news||TV||Details →|
|Main source of national news||Internet||Details →|
|Monthly digital newspaper reach||33%||Details →|
|Leading offline news brand in the U.S.||Local TV news||Details →|
|Leading online news brand in the U.S.||Yahoo News||Details →|
|Leading cable news network||FOX News||Details →|
|Leading multiplatform print media website||The New York Times||Details →|
- Level of interest in various news types in the U.S. in 2015Level of interest in various news types in the U.S. in 2015
Which of the following types of news is most important to you?
- Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2016+Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2016
Which offline news brands have you accessed in the last week?
- Leading online news brands in the U.S. 2016+Leading online news brands in the U.S. 2016
Which online news brands have you accessed in the last week?
- Medium preferred as main source of news in the U.S. as of June 2013+Medium preferred as main source of news in the U.S. as of June 2013
What is your main source of news about current events in the U.S. and around the world?
- News media revenue growth in the U.S. in 2011 and 2012News media revenue growth in the U.S. in 2011 and 2012
News media revenue growth in the United States in 2011 and 2012
- Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017
- Revenue of select U.S. newspaper publishers 2016Revenue of select U.S. newspaper publishers 2016
- Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 21-27 March, 2017
- News reach in the U.S. 2017, by sourceNews reach in the U.S. 2017, by source
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017